Scene 5 - Who Did It

​​General Theme:
The Bottom of the Ocean

(In the Marcovaldo kitchen. Giulia is sitting on a chair at the kitchen table, wrapped in a blanket, while at the other end of the table, Alberto is pacing back and forth and trying to think things through. Luca has just filled a glass of water from the sink and comes to place it in front of Giulia.)

Luca: (Gently) Try this. It might help.

Giulia: Thanks... (Reaching out to take it before holding back because it's water)

Luca: O-oh... s-sorry... (Lil look down in regret, picking it back up)

Alberto: (Still thinking before coming to the end of the table to put his hands on it) Okay. When was the last time you touched water? Did anything else strange happen to you today? Do humans even suddenly become sea monsters? Have you ever heard of something like this happening before?

Luca: (One hand on Giulia's shoulder) Maybe... one question at a time...

Alberto: (Holding up four fingers, practically right in her face) How many fingers am I holding up?

Giulia: (Pushing his hand down a bit) Uh, four...?

Alberto: How many red doors are there in Portorosso?

(Giulia and Luca both look absolutely confused and also a bit... terrified.)

Luca: Alberto... I think... That's... enough questions.

Alberto: (Pulling out a chair and sitting on it) ...That's... fair.

Luca: (Pausing to think for a second before snapping his fingers) He's right, though. When was the last time you... touched water?

Giulia: (Nervously looking down at her hands, trying to remember) Um... I-I... Before lunch. I washed my hands.

Luca: And... they didn't... change, right?

(Giulia gives him a soft head shake.)

Luca: So that means... something had to have happened to you between lunch and now...?

Alberto: (Standing back up) That's right... and in between there... we went to the market. So what... (Remembering) You said you went into a weird shop. You come out, go to us, get in the water, and suddenly you have scales and fins and a tail.

Luca: Did... something else... happen at the shop?

(Both boys turn to look at her. She looks down at the table silently, quietly remembering what happened.)

Alberto: Giulia, if something happened to you back there, you have to tell us. We have to figure out how you're... not human.

Luca: We won't be mad! You're just telling us the truth.

Giulia: (Little breath) The person... inside of the shop... knew me, like I told you. But she knew my dad, too. Apparently he opened a pescheria at the same time she had one and hers went out of business... and... then she said something about doing something to me, and everything kinda hurt for a second, and then I left... And she told me to stay away from water. And that I would see that I'm a... monster. (Little pause) Santa ricotta, why did I not listen to her? (Putting her head in her hands)

(At the same time she's been talking, Luca and Alberto have been listening and their expressions have changed as the story continues.)

Alberto: (Under his breath) Piantala... (Basically "Give it a break" because it's so... crazy)

Luca: That's... not right... Wh-who would do something like that...?

Alberto: Only one way to find out. (Going right over to the door and flinging it open) We're going right back there and getting that crazy person to turn you back.

Luca: (Nervous for a second) Maybe we should... just stay here and-

Alberto: Guys, if we don't do something, you could be stuck as a sea monster forever. (Lil pause) Okay, I'm a sea monster, and it's not bad, but... it's pretty obvious you want to be human.

Luca: (Hesitating before going over) You're right. (Looking over at Giulia) ...You coming?

Giulia: I... (Breaking off and shaking her head, staying seated)

Alberto: But-

Luca: (Lil head shake at him) It's okay if you want to stay...

(Giulia gives him a little nod in response.)

Alberto: We'll... be back soon, okay? And hopefully, we'll have an answer to this. (Putting a fist against an open palm) She won't get away with putting a curse on you.

(Once they step outside into the hallway and close the door, Giulia just puts her head onto her arms on the table. Her gaze briefly flashes to the water glass still on the counter and she shifts the blanket closer to her.)

Luca: (As the two boys are going through the hallway) Are you sure this is gonna work?

Alberto: (Pausing) ...No. But we can't tell her that. (Another beat of silence) Look, I've never seen a... dead quiet Giulia. This is really bothering her. We're her best friends—if anything, we can at least get answers.

Luca: Y-yeah... (As he's about to open the door the outside, taking a small deep breath for courage)