-Chapter 4-

~Ashby~

I've been on edge this whole weekend anticipating the inevitable madness that is bound to come for me Monday morning. I tried to hide how freaked out I really am from Hunter. But he knows something is up. I appreciate how much he cares but I don't need him to become overbearing. After my 9th grade year there was an incident that wasn't my fault, but people didn't see it that way. Hunter pulled me from my highschool and put me in a homeschooling program.

It was a war all summer trying to convince Hunter to let me go back to public school for my senior year. It was all but a miracle he agreed. More so I got into the most elite school there is. I always wanted to go there but that was a hopeless dream. Now it seems like a nightmare made in hell knowing there is a devil there waiting for me. And his name is Everestt Jaxxon.

After my encounter with Everestt at the Gala and crying my eyes out. Hunter found me in the bathroom wiping my tears at the sink. When he touched my arm that triggered something and I felt that cold and helplessness again. I pulled my arm away from his, and I ran to a nearby stall to throw up. Hunter said his goodbyes thanking the mayor and his wife for the invite then took me home.

I've barely left my room, my safe space since. Only to go get food, use the bathroom, and go on my routine runs. But it's pointless because I haven't been able to eat anything. Water, Sprite and maybe some toast is the only thing I can stomach. Hunter thinks I should stay home and that I have a bug. I told him I'm fine, and not to worry I'll be better Monday.

My neck is red with little scratch marks from all the times I've rubbed it. I sat in my white hammock chair restless because everytime I tried closing my eyes. Those voidless green eyes with a fire burning around the iris appeared. I can still feel the heat of his body on mine, igniting my nerves alive. I hated him for invading my space like that. But most of all I hated how he made me feel. I got all hot and bothered and he knew it too. Now my body is a ticking time bomb of anxious nerves waiting to explode.

I still don't understand what Everestt saw when he said I showed him a part of myself. Claiming that he wants to take my inner chaos. The only thing I showed him is my disdain of how much I hate him. He's a self entitled psychopath with big boundary issues. If he thinks that he can scare me into hiding then he is dead wrong. I doubt we'll even have the same classes. Most of mine are AP. I plan to avoid him and keep my head down minding my own business.

The timer on my watch goes off signaling me that if I don't run back to my house now, I won't have time to get ready. I stand here in the woods on a trail that is by my house. When I'm restless and can't sleep, I start my morning runs early. I think I got a total of 10 hours of sleep this whole weekend.

Running is my calm when I get overwhelmed by the madness. I feel free and safe. It's my alone time to just appreciate the beauty of being surrounded by nature. Feel a soft breeze flow through my hair. Welcoming the clean air into my lungs. Letting me know I'm alive, and no longer drowning in dark crimson. If my body could take it I would run forever and never stop. I've been out here since 3:30 this morning and it's now 6:30. I make it back home and take a quick shower. Then get dressed and put on the school uniform.

I put on the navy blue high waist skirt that stops down a little above my knees. I tuck in the white button-down shirt in my skirt. I pull on the matching navy blue blazer that has a red trim along the lapel. They say I don't have to wear a tie but it's preferable. But I'm grateful for that because I don't have to worry about another thing suffocating me. However I do button up to the top button to try and cover the lower half of my scar.