Chapter 34

POV: Charles

It's already Saturday morning, and I excitedly get up to finish the preparations. This afternoon, Max is coming back and I want everything to be ready for him. He told me his flight time, and I organised everything accordingly. I'm quite proud of myself, for once, I've managed to have everything almost ready in such a short time.

I quickly get dressed, anxiously rehearsing over and over the piano piece, and thinking about how it all is supposed to go. I'm sure he will like it, I feel like I've really went out of my way and it's so perfect. But for now, time to eat, and then go buy the last things I need.

Once I've devoured my bolognese pasta, I take my car keys and sunglasses, before heading to the supermarket. I just hope I don't meet too many fans on the way, I don't want to lose too much time out there.

— Charles, Charles, can you sign this please? Here we go, well, at least they seem nice.

— Yes of course, I quickly sign their phone case, before running away towards the entry of the supermarket.

I love Monaco, but it's true that sometimes living in a lost town somewhere would have its advantages. Anyways, now that I'm inside the building, way less people will see me, so it should be okay.

I take my time to make sure I have everything I need, from the scented candles to the balloons. I even go to the florist, hesitating whether I should get him flowers. Would that be too much, does he like them? And what if someone takes a picture of me with the bouquet, will people draw conclusions?

I decide to stop caring so much and buy a beautiful composition, following the professional's advice of not only getting roses, but a nice mix with other flowers. I particularly choose tulips, because he's Dutch and I thought it would be a nice touch.

As soon as I'm in the car, I remember that I still haven't picked up the food from my chef. Because yes, as much as I wanted everything to be "homemade" by me, as a cute attention, I didn't want us to get food poisoning tonight. And I definitely wouldn't have made anything fancy or delicious, so I preferred this option, just to make sure it all goes perfectly.

I quickly text him to ask if I can get it now, which he answers positively. Once I arrive, he explains to me how to heat everything nicely, and how to present it if I want it to look and taste the best. Everything seems absolutely exquisite, but what catches my attention the most is the dessert. I've asked for something very light, because I know Max isn't really a fan of sweets.

— Ohh, what's this exactly?

— Well, I made you a "menu" sheet if you want, with all the details for each dish, it sounds a bit fancier that way yeah?

— Did you really? That's awesome, thanks!

I start reading the carefully printed menu, loving the details. It's such a "chef" thing to do, putting words I've never heard to describe some food! As long as it's good though, I don't really care what it's called. I appreciate the effort though, and thank profusely the man, of course paying him too.

Once everything is settled, I remember that I wanted to ask about drinks. He recommends me some wine, and I trust him enough to blindly follow his advice, knowing he's a pro.

I finally get home, putting everything in the fridge and starting decorating. It's nearly 4pm, meaning Max is probably at the airport right now, just landing. We've exchanged a few texts, as I asked him to come to my apartment around 6pm. I'm buzzing with anticipation now, really impatient to share that first date with him. I really hope we'll start on good basis after that.