Chapitre 19

POV: Carlos

As we meet again at the door, Piñon excitedly jumping around in his collar, I look over at Lando. He looks happier, that's nice. He put on a bucket hat and sunglasses too, he's so beautiful. I open the door, strictly forbidding the dog to pull on the leash, and soon enough we are outside. The weather is simply perfect, the sun shining through the few clouds here and there. A nice warmth radiates in the air, as well as a flower scent that only spring can bring.

— So Carlos, where do we go? Let me just warn you before, I am not walking more than a few kilometres, we already ran this morning! Lando already whines, and I chuckle

— Yeah yeah, don't worry, I already know what path we're gonna take, it's not that long! And we have to make him exercise a bit, don't you think? I say while pointing at the brown dog, a smile on my face.

— Mhh. By the way, do you have him since he's little? Wait, how old is he?

— Yep! And he's 4 years old already! I still remember when we got him, he was so tiny, I am lost in memories, a nostalgic pout on my face. By the way, I have some pictures from that time, do you want to see them?

— Oh really? Yeah, definitely! He says enthusiastically

I smile and pull out my phone from my pocket, trying to find them. Fortunately, I'm a very organised person and I have a folder just for my dog's pictures. I choose the one I had in mind, before turning the screen over to Lando.

— Ohhh, you were so cute, both of you, he says with pouty lips and I feel myself blushing.

— Right? I mean, I don't think I look very different now, but he surely does! We probably both have more hair ahah! I say laughing it off.

Following my words, I see his eyes looking over at my chest, covered by a white t-shirt. Then still saying nothing, his look falls on my arms, and I suddenly feel a bit too hot. Let's change the conversation, should we?

— Erm, so here is where I come play football when I'm with friends, and here is the place where Piñon loves to meet doggy friends. Usually, a lot of dogs and their master come here, it's an enclosed space so we can unleash them, they love to run between the trees and roll in the mud! Well, see, he's already trying to go, vale vale, Piñon espera! Ahhh, aquí, te lo quito, ya, puedes ir eres libre! (Ok, ok, Piñon wait! Ahhh, here, I take it off you, there, you can go you're free!)

— Wow, he's a fast boy man! What is he chasing like that, invisible squirrels?

— We don't really have those here so, more probably some bird, I don't know. While he's spending his energy there, why don't we go sit on the bench?

He agrees and we both go over to the wood seat. A huge bird shit forces us to seat very close, on only half the length of the bench, and I feel almost intimidated by Lando's presence. Maybe I should just confess and get rejected, to finally get over it. But the thought of it makes me sad and scared, I don't want to lose our friendship.

— So hum Carlos... I wanted to ask because hum... Well, you know that word you call me? As he starts a new sentence, a loud ringtone suddenly cut him off, and we both jump, startled.

— Oh shit, sorry, my phone. Oh, it's... Charles? I say while checking the identity of the caller, initially wanting to reject the call. But it's also a bit of time to avoid explaining my feelings so... I decide to pick up.

— Ciao Charles? Come stai? I answer in Italian, unconsciously not wanting Lando to understand everything I say.

*by phone* — Carlos! Why the Italian, not feeling like English today? Ma, sai che io sono più bravo di te in italiano! Sto bene, e tu? (But, you know that I'm better than you in Italian! I'm fine, and you?)