twenty-five

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。
—𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐍, 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐀

—𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲

"Happy Birthday, JD!" Arabella's voice cut through the loud music as she entered the crowded club, specially reserved for Jonathan's party.

The room was packed with bodies, pulsing with energy. Arabella could feel the bass thumping in her chest, the air thick with the scent of sweat and alcohol. She made her way through the crowd, dodging dancers and waitstaff, until she reached Jonathan.

"You made it!" Jonathan exclaimed, his smile big as he wrapped Arabella in a tight hug. "Where's Noah?" Jonathan asked, his voice slightly raised to be heard over the music.

"Got stuck in some work," Arabella replied, shrugging her coat off. "He said he'll try to make it, but if he doesn't, then he wishes you a happy birthday."

Jonathan hesitantly nodded and offered Arabella a drink, which she accepted with a grateful smile. As they chatted, Arabella heard a familiar voice call her name. She turned around to see Madelyn, waving two bottles of champagne in the air, one in each hand.

"I guess that's a duty call?" Jonathan raised his eyebrows in amusement to which Arabella laughed and nodded her head.

"You already know. Well then, I'll see you around?" Arabella asked to which Jonathan smiled and nodded as he reached in for another hug.

As they pulled away, Arabella gave Jonathan a faux-salute before turning to walk off to join Madelyn.

"Madelyn, I hope you know you look like a crazy women swinging those champagne bottles." Arabella joked, taking a bottle from Madelyn's hand.

"Do not!" Madelyn scoffed dramatically, her words slightly slurred, indicating she had had a few too many drinks.

Arabella breathed out a laugh as she struggled to open the bottle of champagne. "Where's Madison and Ivy?" she asked, looking around the crowded club.

"Madison's somewhere sucking Mariah's face off and Ivy went to the bathroom, most likely going to suck Jonathan's face off after as well." Madelyn replied nonchalantly.

"Guess it's just you and me then." Arabella shrugged as she looked up and Madelyn, who had a frown on her face.

"Where's Noah?" Madelyn asked, scanning the room. It was clear to Arabella that Ivy didn't like Noah, and she was pretty sure Madison was getting fed up with him as well. But unlike Ivy and Madison, Madelyn had always tried to make an attempt to like Noah, even if she didn't like him as much.

The three friends often expressed their concerns about Noah's behavior, suggesting that he needed to work on his anger issues and learn to respect those around him instead of acting like a cocky rich guy. However, Arabella would always dismiss their comments, saying Noah's behavior is because of  the pressure he faces due to his family's business. She seemed to believe that there were underlying reasons for Noah's behavior, and she was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"He's working late," Arabella spoke, smoothing out her skirt. Her words seemed to deepen Madelyn's frown even more.

"You sure?"

"Why would I lie about that?" Arabella huffed, her tone a little too harsh. As soon as the words left her mouth, she felt guilty. She hadn't meant to lash out at Madelyn. "I'm sorry, Maddie. I didn't mean to be so harsh."

Madelyn immediately shook her head, "Belle, no, it's fine. Don't apologize."

Arabella nodded, her expression guilty, as she nibbled on her bottom lip.