five

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。
—𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐍, 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐀

—𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲

Arabella grumbled as she sat down to start writing for her upcoming Harper's Bazaar magazine topic, she was suppose to write about how the influence of fashion changes throughout America, which is why her team sent her to Charleston for the next few months. But her mind was frustratingly blank. She couldn't understand why she had been struggling with writer's block for the past week. She took a deep breath, trying to clear her mind and focus on the task at hand.

Arabella muttered to herself, slouching in her seat at the cafe. "Should have done business." She had hoped that the change of setting would help her write, but it didn't seem to be making a difference. She stared blankly at the screen, frustration mounting as the words refused to come.

Arabella huffed in annoyance before getting up and leaving her stuff at the table to get a coffee. Madison had often talked about how good the coffee was at this cafe, so Arabella figured it was worth a try.

She walked up to the counter, glancing at the menu before ordering her usual. "Could I please get a Mocha Coffee?"

The barista nodded before entering Arabella's order into the cash register. Arabella pulled out her wallet, flipping through it in search of her card.

"The total is $4.61. Would you like to pay cash or card?" The barista smiled politely.

Still flipping through her cards, Arabella apologized, "I'm sorry, I'm having the worst day. I swear it was in here."

"No worries take your time."

Arabella checked her pockets before finally giving up. "You know what, it's fine. I don't need the coffee."

"I got it." Someone spoke behind her before they handed the barista their card.

Arabella turned around to refuse the gesture but was surprised when it was someone she knew.

"Noah?"

In front of her stood Noah Summer, the boy she had dated throughout high school. Arabella's heart skipped a beat as she locked eyes with him, a rush of memories flooding back. She couldn't believe he was here. First Drew, now Noah. What was in the air in Charleston?

Noah gave Arabella a wide smile as the barista handed him back his card. "Hey, Belle."

"What?" Arabella spluttered out. "I...I'm sorry I'm just very confused right now."

"I'm expanding my dad's business to South Carolina." Noah stated, laughing. "Charleston was second on the list. but if I knew you were here it would be first."

Arabella stayed silent for a moment, trying to collect her thoughts and process everything that was happening. Trying to ignore the last part he said.

"Well, thank you for the coffee. You didn't have to," Arabella finally said. "I don't have any money on me, so I don't know how to repay you."

"You could repay me by having a coffee and catching up. As friends, of course," Noah joked hesitantly, unsure if he was overstepping any boundaries. "Unless you don't want to, of course—"

"Don't be silly. No harm in just catching up as friends." Arabella smiled, emphasis on the last part. "I needed a break from what I'm doing anyway."

Noah's smile widened, and he picked up his coffee, following Arabella to her table. Arabella quickly gathered some of her things, making space for Noah.