twelve

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。
—𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐍, 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐀

—𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲

"I'm scared." Arabella admitted from the passenger seat. "I won't know anyone there."

Ivy rolled her eyes, her focus shifting briefly from the road. "First off, you don't even know who's coming," she remarked. "Who knows, you might see someone you know. Also, if it makes you feel any better, I don't know who's going either. Orlando said it's a surprise." She glanced at Arabella, a reassuring smile playing on her lips.

"Should I trust Orlando?"

"Probably not, but hey—new friends," Ivy chuckled, her eyes flicking to Arabella's before returning to the road ahead.

As Ivy drove towards Orlando's house, Arabella's stomach churned with uneasiness. High school memories always felt like a battlefield to her. Orlando being in their old friend group added an extra layer of discomfort. Even though Ivy was still friends with Orlando, Arabella had always tried to keep her distance.

"How many people did you say were going to be there?" Arabella asked, her leg bouncing up and down in anticipation.

"I don't know, honestly," Ivy replied, her brow furrowing in thought. "But all I know is that it won't be like a party, just a couple of people—however you want to imagine a couple."

"That helps."

Ivy took a sharp turn and they entered a neighborhood, the sunlight filtering through the palm trees. Arabella looked out the window, taking in the unique architecture of each house.

The sun was close to searing as Ivy pulled into Orlando's driveway. A few cars were already parked, indicating they weren't the first to arrive. Stepping out of the car, Arabella took a deep breath.

They made their way to the front door, Ivy unlocking it with a spare key to save them from an awkward doorbell entrance.

As they entered, the sound of faint chattering could be heard from somewhere in the house.

"Here!" Ivy's voice echoed through the house, cutting through the voices, announcing their arrival.

"Living room!" a voice yelled back, presumably Orlando's. Arabella followed Ivy as they walked through the house, their steps echoing softly in the hallway. Entering the living room, Arabella's eyes landed on Orlando and another figure sitting on the couch.

The living room was dimly lit, with only a single lamp, hiding the other person in shadows. Arabella and Ivy exchanged a puzzled glance, unable to recognize the figure at first. As they moved closer, the features of the person became clearer, and realization dawned on them.

You know that feeling when something seems more than just a coincidence, like it's fate?

But right now she really hoped that it was a coincidence that Drew Starkey was seated on the couch.

The past few weeks and she really just couldn't get rid of him.

Arabella immediately recognized the gathering as a reunionone she didn't want. Ivy and Orlandos presence was bearable but Drew's crossed the line.

Arabella's head snapped towards Ivy as soon as she noticed Drew sitting on the couch. Ivy met her gaze, her eyes filled with perplexity, clearly sensing Arabella's discomfort. Without a word, Ivy turned to Orlando and shot him an annoyed look, silently questioning his decision to invite Drew.

"Surprise?" Orlando squeaked. He looked visibly anxious, clearly wanting this reunion to go well. "Look, this was the only way... I just wanted one get-together. Remember how fun those were? I wanted to get Lance and Layla out here as well, but it was too last minute."