Mile

We got Man and Sasha settled in the house. My apartment was a 5 bedroom condo. Sasha and Ellie took 1 room each, Man was sleeping with me (hehe), Sister Nan had her own room, and I had a home office too.

The girls wanted to share 1 bedroom, but we figured it would be better for both to have their own room each and have their own space, too. The girls were, of course, allowed to sleep over at each other's rooms if they wanted to.

All of them were doing their own things when I came out after my shower. Man was helping Sister Nan in the kitchen, and Ellie was playing her Switch. Sasha was missing, and I wondered where she was. I walked towards her room when I heard soft sobbing. I peeped in and saw her crying.

"You ok?" I asked Sasha. She turned to look at me and nodded her head. But barely a few seconds later, she shook her head no. I went into her room and sat down next to her, taking her hand  in mine. 

"What's wrong?" 

"Nothing wrong. I am just happy, Uncle." 

I looked at her, curious. She muttered about how happy she was, that she seemed to be finally getting a big family like she always wanted. She said though Daddy was with her, she always felt he must be lonely too so it was good that he finally had a friend just like how she had Ellie. I looked at her and asked, "Sasha, have you always wanted Daddy to have a friend?"

She nodded and said yes. "Would you want your Daddy to ever get married again?" She looked thoughtfully at me before shaking her head. "No. Because Daddy was very sad when Papa left and didn't want him or me. So, I don't want Daddy to be sad."

I nodded thoughtfully. I couldn't blame her for feeling that way. Her one and only experience of seeing her dad in love had been a bad one. She wouldn't want to put him through that again for sure. 

"Why do you ask me that, Uncle?" 

I smiled at her, saying I was just curious. She nodded and I wiped her tears away, stressing that Ellie and I would be there for her and her father as long as we can. She smiled cheerfully and I asked her if she wanted to go get ice cream. She nodded and I grabbed her hand and we turned to go when we saw Man at the door. Judging from his facial expression, I knew instantly he must have been there for a while. She ran up to him chirping that I had been so nice and he smiled, encouraging her to go on and get the ice cream. She took off and he looked at me as I walked up to him. He held onto my wrist just as I reached him, mouthing "Thank you". I smiled at him, patting his hand gently and wanted to go off when he continued holding on. 

"I... she's young. She doesn't want to see me hurt, that's all. But I am sure she will be open to me dating again.." Man uttered hesitantly, looking at me. 

"I don't blame her. I am sure Ellie is like that too. So, it is ok. I think its important our girls are happy and comfortable too. Maybe, let's take it one day at a time?" 

Man nodded, smiling. As much as I wanted to date him, I knew that our girls had to make peace with it too. Perhaps, it was better to wait to see if our girls would take to that idea and let them suggest it instead. 

We went out to join the girls for movie time; Man chose to sit with Ellie whilst Sasha nestled up next to me. We watched The Transformers movies and were midway the 2nd one when I realized that Ellie had slept. Man offered to put her to bed whilst Sasha and I continued watching. Man had to go off for work thereafter so I said I will keep an eye on the girls and he went off after settling Ellie.

Once we were done with the 2 movies, I told Sasha to brush her teeth and get ready for bed. She came to me once she was done with that and I put her to bed. I was about to leave when she held onto my hand and asked me if I could stay with her till I fell asleep as Man usually did that. I nodded, softly pecking her forehead and held her hands, patting her till she fell fast asleep. I continued watching her thereafter and didn't realize it then but I fell asleep too, by the side of her bed. 

This was how Man found me when he came back home around 2am. He prodded me softly and hustled me to bed. I just sleepily followed him and fell asleep before he even came to bed. The next day, I woke up, finding myself nestled in Man's arms who was fast asleep but I got a bigger heart attack when I realized Sasha and Ellie were standing there, watching us, eyes big and stunned. 

SHIT! I jumped up, waking Man in the process and both of us looked at the two 7 year olds', fearful of what was to come next. Until Sasha opened her mouth and I almost burst out laughing.

"Uncle, friends can hug each other to sleep? That seems really nice."

Sue me already, this child and her innocence.