Chapter Thirty-Seven: What Makes It Precious Is That It Ends

Picture is Age of Darkness cover edit by me.

Music is "Rebirth" by Must Save Jane featuring Cat McTigue.

All rights go to their rightful owners.

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"I know we all feel that we're immortal. We're supposed to feel that way; we're graduating, but like our four, brief years of high school, what makes life valuable is that it doesn't last forever. What makes it precious is that it ends. I know that now more than ever.

And I say it, today of all days, to remind us that time is luck. So don't waste it living someone else's life. Make it count for something. Fight for what matters to you no matter what. Because even if we fall short, what better way is there to live?" ~Gwen Stacy's graduation speech, Part 1

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

Hey guys!

Here's the third to last chapter! A total of forty chapters + prologue and epilogue will be in this book when finished :)

Above is the sequel's, Age of Darkness, cover! What do you think? :D

Love and Light,
~Save_Pietro_Maximoff

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

"Okay, this looks bad."

The first to lunge into the air is Carol Danvers. If it can be hit, punched, kicked, or blasted, Carol is your girl. She blasts into the air, heading straight for Black Death. Her form starts to be consumed in a bright light, cosmic fire.

Carol is summoning the power of Binary.

She hits him directly, causing a pillar of smoke to come between them from the collision. Black Death is not only not affected by Binary, but he throws her down like a rag doll. We are really underestimating the power of the Soul Gem.

Carol falls onto the ground somewhere below the building, and Black Death sends his minions out once again. "I will see you in another life, Gloria." He turns to his lab where he is creating the portal. The lightning begins to strike again, fueling it.

As Steve, Nat, Clint, Pietro, Maria, Vlad, Aspen, and I all fight the hoard of shadow creatures, we notice they seem to be getting bigger, stronger, tougher to bring down. They become less a shadow and more of a force to be reckoned with. Before, we could just take them out easily; it was the sheer numbers that were the problem.

Now they are not only in the hundreds, thousands, but they seem to be evolving to match our powers. Cap meets his match with super strong shadows, Nat and Maria have hand to hand with martial art creatures, Pietro is racing against the rushing group of demons that he can't shake, Vlad is flying around trying to figure out how the shadows can suddenly grow wings, and Aspen is learning that she can no longer absorb the creatures power.

I keep fighting the only way I know how: crushing, blasting, transporting over the sea. The hurt from doing it so many times starts to take it's toll. I'm out of breath, my hands and shaking, and my stomach feels sick. I can hear the blood pumping in my head as I drop another group of shadows over the bridge and into the harbor. I bring my hand up to my nose and rub the back of it under. When I pull it back and look, there's red covering it.

"We need a new plan," Nat says, covering Thor as he lays on the roof. "We're getting beaten very badly."

"No shit!" Clint yells, ducking another creature and blowing it up with an explosive arrow.