Chapter Fourteen: We Create Our Own Demons

Picture is Jane Levy by unknown.

Music is "Miracles" by Two Steps From Hell & Thomas Bergeren.

All rights go to their rightful owners.

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"We create our own demons." ~Tony Stark

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

It was simply like falling. Like flying. I was floating in the light, being sent through time and space, seeing the stars pass me. Were they stars at all? Or were they other worlds?

I saw the light at the end of the tunnel; it glowed brighter than the rest. I closed my eyes, out stretching my arms, awaiting for the end.

Or the beginning.

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

It wasn't like falling or flying as much as it was like falling asleep. My I open my eyes to see that I'm in a room. The walls are covered with sketches, superhero sketches. It's not my room, at least, not the room I know so well in Maryland. In this world, am I living somewhere else?

I get up from the bed where I laid, and walk around, looking at the drawings. Comic pages, uniforms, random ideas pinned to the walls.

Whoever drew these is excellent, I think to myself.

I look to the artists name on the bottom:

Ms. Gloria Nothern.

I gasp, putting my hand to my mouth. "What in the name of Sif?" I whisper. I look to the comic book name on the main picture. Innocent Blood by Ms. Gloria Northern. "I have my own comic book issue?" I look to the issue number. It reads issue 27. "What the hell?"

I continue looking through the pictures, finding the logo for Corrupt Comics on the backs of every one. I've never heard of them.

Comics, superheros, Pietro. I have to find Pietro.

My phone - well, I guess it's my phone - buzzes in my pocket. I pull it out, and it's not my usual prehistoric Iphone. Its brand spanking new. I hit accept call, since I don't recognize any numbers, and cautiously say, "Hello?"

"Hey!" a familiar feminine voice chimes in. "It's Aspen, how're you doing?"

I rub my head. "I'm... good, Aspen. How about you?"

"I'm great. I had my meeting with the board today with the thing we discussed yesterday."

I look out my window, seeing that I'm in a large building, and I can see downtown New York City. "Um... remind me, what thing again? Sorry, I have a bit of a... headache."

"Oh silly. Remember? I asked you for advice on asking the board for money to build that animal shelter in Queens? They desperately need one."

"Oh, yeah, that!" I go along with it. "How did it go?"

"They loved the idea and will fully fund it. We start building next week!"

"Awesome!" I say. Truth be told, I'm just glad I even know Aspen in this reality. So many things could have changed, but she didn't.

I turn behind me to the bathroom, walking in to wash my face off. Maybe some cold water will help me wake up. When I walk in, I look into the mirror, and yelp.

My reflection is different! I don't look like I did when I went into the portal. "Glory, are you okay?" Aspen asks.

I stare into my eyes, realizing that they're the same green eyes I've always had. "Y-Yeah, sorry, my..." a cat comes out of no where and curls up at my feet, "cat, my cat scared me." I laugh slightly.