chapter 14 | white swan

-ˏˋ winter, new york

Minjee's reflection shimmered back at her from the large mirror in one of the many backstage dressing rooms.

Hazel eyes danced over her face, fixing her makeup so it highlighted her features just right. Her hair, slicked back into a neat bun, was topped with a delicate feathered piece, giving her an air of elegance.

Her costume was something else, wispy feathers and crystals shimmering and moving along with her like it was part of her. She definitely stood out as the white swan, and she felt like it.

Around the ballerina, the backstage area was alive with activity. Staff rushed around, and you could hear the sound of ballet shoes and the rustle of tutus everywhere. Her friends were all there too, getting ready just like her.

"You look amazing, Minnie," Elena said, adjusting her own tutu but not taking her eyes off Minjee. "Odette couldn't be more perfect."

A flutter of nerves tickled Minjee's stomach, but her smile was confident. "Thanks, Ellie. I hope I can live up to it."

Yuna chimed in with a grin, "Are you kidding? You were born for this role. Everyone out there is about to be blown away."

As they shared a laugh, their trainers, Raphael and Natalia, approached. Their gazes sweeped over the group.

"Ladies, remember, elegance and emotion," Raphael said, his tone softening as he looked at Minjee. "Minjee, let the music guide you. You've worked hard for this; let it show."

"You've all worked incredibly hard for this moment. Trust in that work, trust in your talent," Natalia added. "Shine as you always have."

Quick thank-yous and good lucks were exchanged, everyone encouraging each other for the show ahead.

As the call to take their places rang out, that odd, electric sensation Minjee had been brushing off all day decided to make itself known again, stronger this time, sending little zaps of excitement - or was it nerves? - through her. It made her skin tingle in anticipation.