Strategic Planning - Business Plan - 1

A summary of InterCons' business plan from the Department of Strategic Planning (DSP):

We are in agreement with the Department of Marketing an the President and CEO that our public image will be very important to our business success across Pyrrhia and beyond. The first part of our plan to achieve this is laid out here. 

We understand that a megacorporation (like ourselves) taking over the entire marketplace and displacing local businesses will give that company a bad look in the eyes of the public. Our CEO has even stated that he would be uncomfortable doing so. There are already many merchants, dragon and human, selling goods all across Pyrrhia and Pantala. Therefore, you may think we can't engage in selling these goods if we don't want to displace them. However, you would be wrong. In fact, we can both benefit at the same time. 

These merchants are what are called retailers. They sell products individually or in small quantities to consumers. Importantly, they even may have personal relationships with their customers due to their local nature. On the other hand (or talon, we hear the dragon phrase is), wholesalers sell larger quantities of product to retailers (or other wholesalers) at prices lower than the final retail rates. To our knowledge, wholesalers are either uncommon or do not exist in both the dragon and human economies of Pyrrhia and likely Pantala, too. Even if other wholesalers do exist, driving them out of the market would have much less of a backlash than doing the same to retailers because wholesalers do not interact with consumers. 

When we, through the Department of Logistics (DOL), begin selling goods to local merchants, not only will we be able to make a profit, but the local merchants will be able to increase their own. Consider the example of merchants selling food in the middle of the Sand Kingdom. These merchants would see an explosion of new business if they were able to sell food as exotic as fruit from the Rain Kingdom or fish from the ocean. All they would have to do is pay for a DOL subsidiary to deliver a container to them on a daily or weekly basis--they wouldn't even need to transport goods themselves anymore. DOL could mark up the price of the fruit and fish considerably and still offer it at a sufficiently low price for the local merchants to profit themselves. 

You can think of the Department of Logistics as a sort of wholesale Amazon. If you get the reference, you do; if you don't, you won't. It's something only a few humans here will. 

Our wholesaling operations will begin with food. We would like to make the population well fed enough that they don't need to spend time producing or hunting for food. This will kill two birds with one stone. It will return a profit because of the large markup, and it will create demand for the InterCons dollar (ICD), which will increase the number of individuals willing to work for us. Wholesale food sales are what will enable us to begin other operations. In addition to the fruit and fish already mentioned, we will also begin the sale of live animals from farms we well aid the locals in establishing. They will be live for two reasons. First, dragons can eat them from that state, and the native humans are probably already used to slaughtering animals themselves. Second, most of our ice resources will already be going to transporting the fish. That said, DRD is considering designing a barge that can transport live fish in tanks, though this is likely only practical on waterborne vessels. After we have a good food supply established, we can begin the production and sale of other consumer and capital goods. 

Going back to our overall business plan, we would like to establish ourselves as an entity that helps, not eliminates, small and medium sized businesses. That's why we have several departments focused on this objective. Chief among them is the Department of Small Business Services (DSB). DSB has no strictly defined role other than to assist small businesses and startups in any way possible. If small businesses are having a problem that no other department can solve, DSB will create a subsidiary to handle that problem. 

-Department of Strategic Planning