Chapter 14: The Half-Blood Prince

Severus walked silently down the hall, the familiar chill of winter mixing with the warmth of the oncoming spring season filling the air.

He walked with purpose, yet he was distracted, overwhelmed by his thoughts and worries.

Severus didn't trust much in this world. He only trusted two things: Laura and his intuition.

And he trusted his intuition enough to know that something bad was going to happen.

Soon. Very, very soon.

Something was wrong. Severus could practically taste it on his tongue, the bittersweet edge of a lingering problem.

But what problem?

Potter... Malfoy...

Two of Severus's biggest problems.

Things had escalated over the past several months between the two dunderheads and Severus was getting sick of it.

Draco was slowly deteriorating in front of Severus's eyes, becoming a ghost, a shell of his former self. Severus watched as Draco became thinner, paler, with dark circles lurking beneath his eyes, which were laced with red throughout them.

And yet, Severus couldn't tell Draco the truth. He couldn't tell Draco that he, himself, would be the one to kill Dumbledore.

He would be the one to take the fall; he would be the one to break his soul even further; he would be the one to lose himself...

To lose everything.

Severus was yanked violently from his thoughts when he heard a loud crashing sound erupting from the boys bathroom. His steps quickening, his cloak billowing behind him as he rushed inside.

Severus's face was emotionless, cold even, but inside, his heart was beating wildly as he witnessed the broken sinks, the cracked mirrors, the water spilling onto the floor, the blood...

The blood...

The blood pooled around Draco's body as Harry stood over him, a terrified look on his face, his skin a ghostly white from his fear, his eyes widened behind his glasses.

Severus rushed passed Harry, getting down on one knee, inspecting Draco, seeing the wounds pouring blood, mixing with the water on the floor.

Sectumsempra...

It took everything in Severus for his eyes not to widen.

How on earth did Harry know that spell?

Severus paused for a moment, realization hitting him.

No... it couldn't be...

Did Harry have Severus's old potions book?

Severus pulled his wand from his sleeve, shoving those thoughts aside for a moment, as there were more pressing matters, raising it over Draco's wounds. "Vulnera Sanentur... Vulnera Sanentur... Vulnera Sanentur..."

The words slipped effortlessly from Severus's lips, like a song, dancing along, filling the air, healing Draco's wounds.

Severus knew Draco would need more than the incantation to help him heal and he used magic to lift Draco. "Wait here," Severus commanded Harry, a million questions reeling in his mind as he took Draco to the hospital wing.

Severus didn't stay long in the hospital wing, trusting Madam Pomfrey to tend to Draco's recovery. And it wasn't long before he was storming back to the boys lavatory, needing to uncover how Harry knew his spell.