Chapter 11: Reality Always Comes Calling

Severus made his way slowly to the hospital wing with hesitation, but also purpose and doubt and worry, an icy chill drifting through the halls as his cloak billowed behind him.

Severus's thoughts drifted back to his honeymoon, a honeymoon in Italy with the woman of his dreams.

Soft morning light penetrated the hotel room as snow fell from the sky. Severus turned on his side, seeing Laura's sleeping face. He smiled warmly, studying the calmness on her face and the way the light made her soft, pale skin radiate.

Severus's smile grew warmer as he continued studying her face. He leaned over, placing slow, sweet kisses along her jaw, watching Laura's eyes slowly flutter open. "Good morning, beautiful," he whispered.

"You're in a good mood," Laura said softly, her green eyes shining in the dimness of the morning light, like guiding lights in the dark, bringing Severus home.

"How could I not be when I get to be here with you? With my wife?" Severus asked, brushing his fingertips along her face.

Laura smiled, brushing her index finger against his bottom lip. "What do you want to do today?" she asked.

Severus smirked lightly, placing soft kisses on Laura's exposed collarbone. "There is something I want to do today," he told her. "And it doesn't involve getting out of this bed."

"We did that yesterday," Laura said with a chuckle. "And last night. More than once... don't you want to go explore?"

"Tomorrow, darling," he whispered, moving on top of her naked form. "But for now, I want to have you again and again, making you mine over and over."

His thoughts drifted further into his memories of the honeymoon, thinking of the sites, the foods, the wines, the love he consumed, letting it completely drown him, nearing him to a drunken state of ecstasy.

It was all consuming; like a dream Severus never wanted to wake from.

Yet, reality always comes calling.

And it rarely comes calling quietly.

Reality was hitting hard, as Laura had grown busy these last few months, seeming distracted and buried in work, as if she was trying to keep her mind off of something...

Severus was snapped from his thoughts when two students ran passed him in the hall, their shoes colliding with the stone floors, echoing loudly. "No running!" Severus bellowed, making the two students immediately pause before they started walking slowly, not wanting to make Severus angry.

Severus rolled his eyes and kept walking, his thoughts drifting to why he was going to the hospital wing in the first place. "Dammit, Malfoy," Severus muttered under his breath as he got closer to the hospital wing, knowing that even though Severus couldn't prove it was Malfoy, he knew in his heart that he was responsible for what Severus was about to see.

"Ah, Severus," Dumbledore said calmly, appearing behind him.

It took everything in Severus not to roll his eyes, feeling irritated over how calm Dumbledore seemed over all the events that had happened this past year. "How are you so calm right now?"

Dumbledore didn't respond, now walking beside Severus. "Everything will work out in the end, Severus," he told him. "Just remember that."

They walked in silence the rest of the way, with Dumbledore opening the rickety doors to the hospital wing.

Severus paused, seeing Ron Weasley unconscious in one of the beds. Severus's face remained expressionless as he watched Harry Potter standing over Ron's bed, along with Hermione Granger.