Chapter 1

Micah.
I slashed my sword at the beast, slicing a long cut along his face. The blade just barely reached his eye, but it was enough to blind him for at least two seconds, the blade caught in his face. Taking my chance, I took hold of his neck and swung myself onto the beastly creature. He flinched in agony and immediately roared in a blaze of steam and flames.

The dragon cried out in anger and pain and tried tirelessly to shake me off of him. Before he could breathe out any more ungodly flames from his ghastly pie hole, I unleashed the dagger from my jacket, improvising from my sword still jabbed in his eye, and brought it down into the top of his head. The beast cried out once more before letting it's body flop down to the ground. God, I hate Dragons.

Now, for the final battle move, I thought, reaching for another blade in the inside of my boot. Then suddenly, as I sat still at my place on his neck, the body of the dragon began to tremble under me and within seconds, it wasn't a body any more. I watched as it instantly burst into sizzling, green goo. Well, isn't that amazing.

Looking around, smothered in the grotesque slime, I see the last face I would ever want to see at the moment. "Nice one hotshot!" My little sister says with one of (what do you know?) my guns. God, I love her. No, not really. Don't take that seriously. I despise the brat.

"What are you doing here, Cassandra?" I ask, not even trying to mask my disgust.

She frowns and makes a sad face like a little kid does when they pout. "Come on, Micah. That beast could have been alive and waiting, but thanks to me, it's dead for sure!" She says cheerily. "I saved you."

Oh, please, don't say that! "You didn't save me." I grumbled, standing up from the cold, cave floor.

"Sure." She says, her hands on her hips.

I only shove past the little brat, not bothering to give her a response. She is always pulling stunts like this, making me look bad in the end. Yeah, I know what you must be thinking. I'm ungrateful and that I should be happy that the dragon is killed. Well, guess what? I'm not happy at all. Why should I be? That was going to be my hundredth dragon slayed and, for what? Nothing!

Cassandra rambled behind me as she followed me out of the dark cavern and to the edge of the cliff. I retrieved the Xactris powder from the small, cloth sack that hung from belt and threw some into the air, creating a portal. I walked straight through the blue waves of light and into my own, Boston home that I unfortunately still shared with my family.

"I don't understand why you are always so grumpy with me, Micah." Cassandra commented on my disgruntled attitude. "I was just trying to help."

"Help?" I yelled, spinning around and showing her my slime covered appearance. "Does this look like help?" I asked her, an unknown edge in my voice.

"You'll get over it, Cry Baby." She said with a laugh, playing with a piece of slime on my leather jacket. "You should really go clean up."

"I agree."

The both of us looked up and watched our mother glide into the living room. She, too, looked like she had just come from battle, yet was still as flawless as the day she got married. My father trailed behind her, a crooked smirk spread on his face. It just so happened that both of my parents were some of the most famous slayers on the face of the earth.

Yes, you heard correctly. We are slayers. When earth is overpopulated with a certain creature, or they are just plain assholes, we are alerted and sent to bring them to their death. I try to make it sound adventurous, but even I can't lie that well. It was a long day's work and hard work at that. Somehow, my parents managed to make the whole thing look as easy as pie.

King Scirim raved about their career and hoped that Cassandra and I followed in their footsteps. Did I even have a chance with Cassandra always coming to my rescue every time, showing me up?

"What's the matter, Micah?" My father asked, not really caring as he played with a piece of my mother's dark, black hair that she so graciously passed down to my stupid, little sister. I was stuck with the normal dirty blonde hair that my grandmother calls, 'dirty dish water blonde' it was so aggravating. I am very sensitive about my appearance.

"Nothing. I'm going to clean up." I said, my teeth gritted and my jaw clenched. I needed to escape the monotony of my oblivious parents and my annoying sibling. In fact, I needed to escape everything and everyone while I still had the chance.

Reegan.
"So, Reegan, are you going to attend my party on Saturday?" Samantha, my least favorite BFF in the whole world asked as I tried to escape my Zoology class.

Nope. I didn't plan on it all. Sighing, I averted her eyes and gave her a reply. "I'll see, Sam." I had no intention of going to her party at all. That was definitely not my scene.

She giggled excitedly, barely managing to stay in her own skin. "Great! I really hope to see you there." She said, giving me a quick peck on the cheek and skipping off cheerily to some sleazy friend of hers.

"Whew, how did you manage to get out of that one, hotshot?" Faith, my ultimate BFFAEFLY (Best Friend Forever And Ever Like Yeah!) asked. I hadn't realized that she had been watching that whole disaster play out, which kind've creeped me out.

"Were you eavesdropping, Faith?" I asked teasingly, heading to my locker, which was, luckily,right next to Faith's.

"Just making sure that no one steals my BFFAEFLY." She replied sarcastically, wiping off lipstick that I hoped wasn't actually on my cheek.

I rolled my eyes and flung my locker open. "That name is not to be made fun of. I could take that personal." I told her, grabbing my English Textbook.

"You won't though. That's why we love each other!" She said. This time, with an even more sarcastic voice.

"I love Zac Efron. So, keep that in mind."

"Ouch! That hurt, Reegan." She pouted, giving me a soft punch to my shoulder. "I could take that personal."

"You won't though. That's why we love each other."

With that, we walked to English class, hand in hand. I didn't know that my entire life was about to change within the next hour, nor did I know that it could be for the worse. Little did I know was that I was in for the class of my life.