Chapter 9

Please comment. Don't forget. 

"Thank you so much," Damon said to the last of the guests leaving while the lady partner who was named Zora smiled. "I would love to see you two at our place often. I promise it won't disappoint you. It has been an amazing summer for new couples like you."

"We would love to." Damon smiled looking at Nancy who too tried to smile but couldn't. Damon got his hand up to her side while staring at the last car leaving their grounds. Nancy found his head turning to her from her side eyes but couldn't dare to look at him. "The excitement of a new bride in your arms is like no other." Nancy looked at him holding her breath. "I..." Nancy wanted to assure him that she would give her best but Damon cut her speech off pulling her in. He held her face and gave her a sweet smile. It almost looks cynical.

"Don't you dare say a word?" The words came out in a grit. Nancy blinked her eyes in response and Damon held her injured arm. "Ahh...please, it hurts."

"Oh I forgot, did I hurt you?" Damon asked loosening his grip only a little and Nancy hissed in pain. "You must have forgotten. It's ok."

"I didn't my wife. I wanted it to hurt. Do you think I care that you recover or not? I want you to break you and get you together only enough to get you by."

Robert walked to them and called him from a distance. "Damon? I want to talk to you...alone." Robert emphasized in the end.

Damon rolled his eyes telling him. "This better be urgent. It won't be nice that I leave my bride all by herself..." The scoff in his voice was too apparent. He wasn't putting an act in front of Robert. And, that tells Nancy that Robert's presence won't be a shield for her.

Damon bowed a little to see her face and showed he cared when he asked. "Can you be without me for a minute? In fact, why don't you go to the room? And, wait for me?" He held her chin up and didn't wait to call for a nearby guard.

"Show the lady to my room." Nancy looked at Damon leaving with Robert. She wonders what she could do to change his heart for her. Not only he wasn't ready to give this arrangement a chance but he was promising her no civility.

Nancy followed a set of two guards who walked ahead of her and she simply followed them. She was getting back using the same doors from where she was escorted. She had already learned he hadn't left her in the cell. She was living at his place for the last two days.

She still hasn't figured out why he took mercy on her. The interior of his place wasn't built for someone short on money to keep his place warm in a state such as Alaska. It had a high ceiling. The walls were thick and the entrance lobby had a huge chandelier. The hallways were spacious too and had several windows in the exterior walls. This time she was taken to a different place from before. She had learned that she was kept in a guest room. On the third floor, she entered a space that looked more like his wing. The ceiling was a little short on this one. And, it had several paintings of naked women, eagles, and soldiers from different wars. Only a closer inspection was enough to inform her that those soldiers were his ancestors or the famous people who served his family. Most artefacts of different wild animals were made of gold. The tables and chairs at different places had high backs.

She could smell his perfume on this wing. It wasn't well lighted. Only enough to make out things. Most lamps were out. But the pictures had overhead lamps to light them up. The heavy drapes were drawn. Telling her no one will ever know what had become of her here. And, before she could wait on a few pictures, the guards turned around catching her slow in her steps and far behind. "We are here," Both said in unison. She looked at the huge black door. It had intricate designs on its borders and reached the ceiling. The doorknob was made of gold.