A mermaid's betrayal

"Talking"

"Thinking"

"SHOUTING/YELLING"

(Ruby's person POV)

Chelsea and I were on our way to the open house event to ask my mom for advice on getting the Trident of Oceanus. It seems like a risky play, but we need to get it if we're ever going to make peace between mermaids and krakens and I can finally have a normal life.

Chelsea: Ooh, I'm so nervous to meet your mom. She's gonna know that I'm a mermaid right away. How's my hair? Feels like it's frizzing up, and you can't trust a person with frizz, Ruby.

I get what she means, well maybe not the frizz part. After the battle between mermaids and krakens, it would be understandable that my mom wouldn't trust her when she learns that Chelsea's a mermaid. But I'm sure that I can convince my mom that she's not like the others if just talk to her.

Ruby: Chelsea, you're my super sea-girl bestie. It's gonna be fine. No fighting.

Chelsea: No hiding.

Just then I got a call on my phone and I checked to see who it was. Turns out, it was Y/N who was calling. I thought of hanging up and calling him later, but I had already been ghosting him for the last couple of days even if was for a good reason. He's my best friend and would never do the same. So I guess a quick call won't hurt.

Ruby: *answers* Hello?

Y/N (on phone): Hey Ruby, I'm glad that I could talk to you.

Ruby: Yeah, me too. Sorry, I've been ignoring you for a while.

Y/N (on phone): It's fine. But listen there's something I need to tell you.

Ruby: Sure, what is it?

Y/N: Actually, I was hoping that I could tell you in person. Could you meet me over at the docks?

Ruby: Um, ok. But I need to take care of something important first. Could you maybe wait for me?

Y/N: Sure I can wait. I'll see you soon.

Ruby: You too, bye. *hangs up*

Chelsea: Wassup?

Ruby: Y/N wanted me to meet with him, to tell me something.

Chelsea: I wonder what it is.

I'll admit, I was curious myself. But what I'm doing now is too important. Whatever Y/n wants to tell me can wait.

(Y/N's POV)

I just got off the phone with Ruby and took a deep breath to calm my nerves. This is it. I've studied so hard for this moment and there's no turning back now. I changed into my dad's prom suit, ensured I was nice and tidy, and took one last look at my notes before leaving my room. I then went downstairs to the living room where my parents were. They recently returned from their expedition with Gordon claiming that they witnessed an actual baby kraken, but I didn't ask for the details. When they saw me, my parents immediately started fawning over how I looked.

M/N: Oh my Cod! Look at you!

F/N: You look good in that suit, sport! Looking like a real gentleman.

M/N: Ruby is such a lucky girl to have a handsome man like you.

Their compliments were making me embarrassed.

F/N: So when is Ruby coming over?

M/N: I wanted to take pictures of the two of you

I then became nervous when they asked since I hadn't told my parents that I hadn't proposed yet.

Y/N: Um... actually I'm going over to Ruby's home.