Chapter 10

The next memory soon started playing: the whole screen was occupied by the front page of a newspaper, titled LA STAMPA. Tho, in big, black and bold letters, the sentence 'BADOGLIO A CAPO DEL GOVERNO' was visible, and under 'LE DIMSIONI DI MUSSOLINI ACCETATE DAL RE'. As if the countries knew what that meant.

"Vee~ it says 'Badoglio is the new leader and that Mussolini's resignation was accepted by the king".

The nations thought about it: if Italy's memory had already been shown, than it couldn't be his, right?

Their silent questions were answered when the newspaper was dropped and the 'camera angle' changed.

Romano had had an evident smile up upon reading the news. He happily turned his head to his side, looking at a young girl who was reading over his shoulder.

The girl looked up at him with an equally as big smile. She had the same dark eyes and dark, wavy hair that her father had, even their smile seemed similar.

All of a sudden, screams could be heard. Everyone panicked as Romano and his daughter got up. He let out a few curses as he grabbed his daughter's arm. They ran outside, as planes could be seen in the distance. The bright red and white tail was unmistakable.

They went along with all the other people, but in all the crowd, Romano got separated from his daughter. He didn't notice, as he was running along the other people.

The screen seemed to skip forward, to the villagers, amongst them Romano, at the bottom of the hill. Concerned and scared he looked around, muttering some words under his breath, such as 'Merda' or 'Porco dio no'.

Lovely things as usual

Eventually, he started screaming for 'Gioia' until he eventually had to give up, with tears in his eyes.

Romano had a scowl on his face, but the sadness was evident and tears were pooling in his eyes. His brother 'veed' and wrapped him in a hug.

Romano hugged him back, hiding his face in his brother's shoulder. He let a few tears fall, but quickly wiped them away.

The screen soon started showing again, and this time it displayed a snowy forest, with a man running. The blond looked very similar to America and was wearing a Canadian guard uniform, wich most countries didn't recognize.

He seemed to be running for his life, and almost tripped once, but he kept running, still looking exhausted.

"Bro" America looked at his side, on the couch and next to England "What happened?"

"Well" The nation from the video spoke "I just got the news of a fire in the village I lived in..." He hugged his bear close, who just looked at him with confusion and cuteness.

"Who are you?"

In the mean time, the video Canada kept walking, until he reached the outskirts of a small village. He looked at it with evident sadness, as the 'camera' turned around showing all the burnt houses, people trying to help and some moving burn pieces of wood.

Suddenly, a man approached him, with all the kindness that one could offer. "Excuse me? You were Maélie's neighbor? Christopher's father?"

Canada panicked and feared the worse "Yes, that's me, Matthew". The man looked down, with sadness. He then averted his gaze twoards his small daughter that he was carrying. "I'm sorry", he said, as the screen again turned to black.

The curtains re-opened as the screen slowly disappeared. England turned to Canada and put an arm around his shoulders in a comforting manner

"Vee~ I think we should take a break, no? Maybe to talk about what happened?"

Germany looked at Italy, suprised at his seriousness, but then again. "Ja, I think it's a good idea. We could all go to our rooms maybe"

No one seemed to oppose to the idea, so they got up and, guided by Romano, headed back to the chambers.

654 words

Writer's block yay

Anyway, the next few chapters are ready, so they should be out next week

04 March 2024