Chapter 9

Russia sat there alone, half hoping that one of his friends would come to his aid, but he knew that his hopes were useless.

Until, he heard small and quick steps approch him. He quickly wiped his tears away and looked over at the door.

Italy had entered the room with a small frown on his face. He sat next to Russia and looked at him sadly. He veed and put a hand on his shoulder.

A couple of minutes later, Italy was skipping back to the room were everyone else was. Russia was following him, albeit a bit less happily. Italy looked around as he opened the door and entered the darker room.

Everyone was pretty much how he left them, including Japan who was now trapped on America's lap. Italy sat back down next to Germany and smiled at him, wile Russia awkwardly sat back in his armchair. Just as he got comfortable, the video started playing again.

This time it was a small little girl, with beautiful blonde hair and blue eyes. She was wearing a puffy pastel blue dress, and was wobbling around.

She was smiling widely as she fell into someone's arms. That someone picked her up and held her up in the air.

The little girl giggled as the person put her up to their chest. The person in question -a man- was dressed in a dark blue jacket and a cream-colored undershirt with a white collar.

England was the first to understand who it was, and of course, he grumbled out a "Bloody frog", but only France heard it.

The video continued as the little girl giggled at her father. Finally, his 'identity' was revealed as he was framed and spoke. "Good job Marianne! You're becoming a big girl now!" Marianne giggled happily at her father's praise.

She kept giggling as France kissed her little hand and her forehead. She kept on giggling, but the smile slowly started to disappear from her face as she started gasping for air.

France looked at her worriedly and started carrying her out of the room.

Marianne kept gasping more and more, as France's steps became quicker and quicker. Small curses were escaping his lips as tears started to form in Marianne's eyes.

He screamed for someone to help him, but the palace was as empty as ever. He hugged Marianne tightly as he accepted what was happening.

He slid down on the ground and kept Marianne close to him.

He held her tightly as tears started falling from his own eyes. Her crying got more silent and irregular, until nothing could be heard, exept the soft clicking of heels.

That sound as well stopped as a woman arrived in front of France and kneeled down next to him, caressing Marianne's cheek as the scene once again turned to black.

France had his face in his hands as he tried not to think about it. He moved his hands away as he heard the last sounds of the recording stop. He looked at his left, to Britain, who just gave him a compassionate look and put a hand on his shoulder.

Fance sighed and spoke "I'm good, it's ok" He smiled at England, who grumbled something about 'just wanting to help'. France giggled and kissed the side of his head, making England go red.

"Bro. That looks gay"

"Shut up America...."

The video started again, this time showing a young girl, but still probably the oldest or second oldest of all the kids they've seen. The girl was snuggled up into her blanket, sadly staring out the window. She had aburn-brown hair, golden eyes and a small curl on the left side of her head. Just like with Nikolai, it was obvious who her father was.

Italy appeared at the door with a concerned look on his face. He sat down on the ground next to the bed and gently caressed the girl's cheek.

The girl sleepily turned around and smiled once she saw her father "Papà!". She hugged him happily with a large and tired smile on her face.

Italy returned the smile and hugged her back "Ciao Azzurra, I missed you" "I missed you too papà".

The nations noticed something different from the start: wile the other 'videos' began relatively happily, this one had a sadder note to it. They payed no mind to it, as everybody knew how it was going to end.

Italy broke the hug with Azzurra soon after, and put his lips on her forehead.

Soon, he pulled away and looked his daughter in the eyes "How are you feeling? You seem to be getting worse".

Azzurra looked down and didn't respond, but that said everything for her father. "Do you want some water?"

Azzurra nodded "I'm thirsty". Italy patted her head and got up with a small smile "I'll go get you some water then".

Italy soon got back with a cup of water. He left it on the night stand, as Azzurra had comfortably snuggled into her blankets and had her eyes closed. He bent down and kissed the side of her head, and let her sleep.

The 'video' fast-forward to a doctor visiting Azzurra. The tape didn't last long, as the doctor proclaimed Azzurra officially dead and the screen turned to black.

Italy was hugging Germany, who felt really awkward in such situation. Italy held him tightly and surprisingly strong, as Germany fel his sides being squished.

Italy was quietly crying as he was forced to relieve his more painful memories. He held Germany tightly, almost preventing his poor boyfriend from breathing.

Germany awkwardly patted Italy's head and hugged him back.

Two light 'awww's could be heard, followed by an equally as low volumed "Shut it you two".

Italy smiled as he broke the hug with Germany, happy that his """over affectionate""" hug was met with approval. He 'veed' and turned around to Romano, who seemed uneasy. The screen started again playing, and Italy diverted his attention.

1002 words

March 3rd 2024