6. Bad idea right

***Sorry for the delay guys, this chapter ended up being the longest I've ever written in any of my stories, and took ages to edit...***

~AVA~

Ava was absolutely mutilating the carrot on the chopping board but couldn't really bring herself to care. She was in a mood. Like a 'fuck everyone and everything' kind of mood, she had been for the last week. Beatrice was ghosting her and though Ava knew it was her fault, she hadn't realized how much she would miss her.

Ava let out a deep sigh.

I just had to go and fuck it all up.

She jumped out of her skin when a bowl of half mixed cookie dough slammed down on the bench in front of her, her eyes shot upwards to see a not so impressed looking Mary.

"Fuck Mary!" Her heart pounded in her chest, "I nearly cut my fingers off..."

Mary was less than sympathetic, "I swear to God Ava, if you don't tell me what the hell is going on with you right now, I will lock you in the walk-in until you do." She straightened up, folding her arms over her chest, "And I'm surprised you haven't cut yourself already how distracted you've been."

"I was not..." Raised eyebrows stopped Ava's denial in its tracks, "I'm just feeling a little off at the moment, okay?" Ava said defensive all of a sudden. She put down the knife and turned to put the remaining carrots back in the walk-in, "Can't always be the life of the cafe, ya know."

"You're moping," Mary accused as she followed at Ava's heels, "and it's fucking depressing everyone around here. As your best friend, I demand to know what's going on."

Ava snorted at that, closing the fridge and making her way backwards to the bench. She met Mary's gaze with a smirk, "Oh, you demand, do you?"

"Is it JC?"

Ava shrunk in on herself at the mention of her ex, dropping her gaze away from Mary and picked up the knife to start slicing an onion, but Mary's hand covered her own, gently taking it from her.

"Please kid, tell me?"

Mary was playing dirty asking her like that, she knew Ava could not refuse her.

Biting at her lip, she caved, "It's...it's not JC."

"Someone else? Someone new?"

Ava nodded, picking at bits of onion skin lying to the side of her chopping board. She tried to get the words out of her mouth, but they wouldn't come.

"That girl you had food with the other day?" Ava's head jerked up in surprise and Mary smiled slightly, "Yas told me."

"Beatrice." Ava blurted, finally able to say something but instantly regretting her choice when recognition widened Mary's eyes.

"Beatrice..." Her friend repeated slowly, "As in the girl from the bar? The one that took you home that night?"

Ava couldn't meet her gaze. Blood was rushing uncontrollably to her face now, her heart fluttered against her ribs.

"I did something bad..."

~

"She's a cop? You fucked her, and she's a cop?"

Ava nodded sheepishly. The appalled look on Mary's face was not helping with the guilt knotting up her insides.

"Then you told her you weren't interested the next morning..."

Ava nodded again, tears stinging at the back of her eyes.