Author's Note (Shelby Situation)

I think y'all know what this is about. I already posted this on my community/announcements page, but this message is more for people reading this that don't follow me, to inform y'all of how I'll continue w writing.

AS FOR THIS FIC IN PARTICULAR: I'm either going to write Wilbur out through editing, or I'm going to leave it & in the future, his character's importance to the plot/his involvement in the story will be minimized to my previous plans.

I'm starting this by saying that I fully support Shelby, and I am SO proud of her for telling her story & getting justice as she sees fit. That being said, I'm also incredibly disappointed in Wilbur's response to the situation.

I don't support him in any way, which feels weird to say, because I've been a fan of him for such a long time. However I can't in good faith support him. To anyone else in the same position as me:

It isn't your fault for looking up to someone who was supposed to be a good role model for us. It is not your fault that you saw the good in a person. That is his fault. I'm sorry to anyone who's been effected by his actions.

As for my writing, I don't plan on taking it down. 2 of my current fics revolve around wilbur as a character. I'm not sure how I feel about continuing them in good taste. My current pov is that I'll probably continue them because I've poured my heart & soul into writing & it's a passion of mine. Writing in fandoms is how I get feedback & get my writing out there online. My depictions of Wilbur's characters are pretty much all my own developed characterization + fanon, and my plots are my own, and obv my writing isn't supporting him monetarily. I'll be adding a note in the descriptions of my stories to inform people of this.

To further explain this, fanfiction, in general to me, is actually less about idolizing/loving the characters, but is instead an outlet for creativity and a way to read the specific content/tropes you want. It's like reading books, only you get to pick and choose the plot points (this is more so an ao3 thing). And the fics being about characters in familiar with just help with physical descriptions (something I struggle with).

The rewrite of paint splattered scars will have wilbur written out (he was a really minor character, it won't effect the plot)

In regards to lovejoy + wilburs music. There are plenty of complications online that include all of Wilbur's music (released, unreleased, deep cuts, demos, etc) as well as all of lovejoys music with time stamps. They're posted by other people and therefore none of the money will go toward him or the band. That should hopefully help y'all out who still want to listen to the music w/o supporting him.

Ily, and I might take a break from writing for a short while. I'm not sure yet. Thank y'all for understanding 💗 Support Shelby + Niki + all those effected by Wilbur's actions.