Chapter 35: The Risk of D.

"It's a pleasure to meet you again, Miss." Shanks beams as he bows a little. "Good to see you on your own two feet already."

You tilt your head in confusion. "A little birdie told me." He says, looking over at Marco.

When the van reached the small port town the brothers had gone to work. You'd been surprised to see Shanks, of all people, but Marco wasn't. Ivan had done a lot of the coordinating, and Shanks was in town already. As Marco explained, he wasn't technically a pirate anymore, but Shanks was the most experienced sailor at Lvneel, so he wasn't surprised that was who Ivan had found.

Shanks, as well, had a reason to see things through. According to the man himself, Teach had given him the scars over his eye.

"When the world changed, I really thought he'd settle down." Shanks says, bringing you below deck on the small vessel, and offering you a place to sit. "Instead it's come to this."

"Are you," you start, but stop, unsure of how to ask him if he's going to get involved in what's, by definition, a murder.

"Going to help?" He prompts. You can feel that steel gaze on you from behind long crimson locks, but you don't try to meet it. You're still not sure where you stand, and until you open the Library, you don't think you'll know. "No. It's a family matter." He answers, looking away.

"Now, if things go sideways, I'm not going to leave it be, but I don't see that happening." He adds, giving you a wink as he leaves the room.

You stayed put, not just because you were sore and tired, but also because you figured you'd just get in the way. At least while everyone was doing whatever it was people did to set sail. The most you knew about boats were all the different ways you used to be able to reach the galley on the Moby.

There's a steady lurch in the ship as it breaks away from the pier. The toss of the waves is a little alarming at first, you don't remember it being so pronounced last time, but this caravel's a fraction of the size of the other ship.

After a few minutes the door opens and Marco smiles at you.

"Want to come out on the deck?" He asks, stepping into the room. "It's beautiful out, and we won't be on the ship for too long."

Looking from him to the door and back, concern crosses your face. "It's... a small ship."

"We won't capsize." He reassures you, kneeling down before you. "I won't let you fall into the ocean, pretty bird, I promise, yoi." One hand twines with yours, the other caresses your cheek. "But if you want to stay in here, I'll stay with you."

You can feel the heat rushing to your face and cover it with your hands. A strangled groan of frustration escapes you and you reach out and grab Marco's shirt collar, shaking him a little.

"You're killing me." You grumble, pulling him close enough to kiss his forehead. "But thank you for trying to distract me."

Bright blue eyes look into yours, and his face is calm as it always is. You can see the faint lines of worry creasing here and there, but he's keeping his expression neutral. "It's going to be okay, no matter what happens."

"... Have you... Have you ever?" You can't get the last few words out, but Marco's eyes stay steady on yours.

He nods, looking away in memory before looking back at you. "Not even the saints were saints, and clashes between pirates and marines were always violent."

"But... like this?"

He reaches out, relief on his face when you don't flinch, and gives you a sad smile. "No, my love, never like this before. We never knew betrayal before Teach."