Season 1 chapter 3: Final Exams

The H.I.V.E. Academy for Extraordinary Young People is proud to introduce...

carrying four young individuals on it to block the crest. One is a very short, bald boy in a jumpsuit; a pair of goggles is propped on his forehead, and assorted controls are mounted at chest and waist level. Behind him is a very tall, beefy fellow with collar-length brown hair and a small beard. His sleeveless shirt and pants are black, and studded gold bands cross his chest and run around his shoulders. Off to the right of these two, our left, is a slim girl in an off-the-shoulder black dress trimmed with blue ruffles, black-and-blue striped stockings, and black platform boots with blue soles. Her lavender hair is bound into two large horn-like tufts that stick up above her ears, her catlike eyes are the same color, and her skin is an odd shade of bluish-pink. A small pendant hangs from a black ribbon that encircles her throat. Off to the left of these three, our right, is a a tall and muscular young man with shoulder length black hair wearing a black shirt where his sleeves and collar were roughly cut over a grey striped slightly torn long sleeve shirt, blue pants with a small tear below the left knee, a padlock necklace and black combat shoes.

: Gizmo, the boy genius whose intellect can conquer any problem with an inventive solution.

: Jinx, the enchanting sorceress whose powerful hexes mean bad luck for her enemies

: Mammoth, the genetically enhanced giant whose unstoppable strength speaks for itself

: And Kevin Levin, the mutate that can absorb anything from solid matter to pure energy

Headmistress: Well, Mr. Slade?

Cut to just behind her. Slade's shadowy form stands behind a railing on a slightly elevated platform across the area-the same industrial machine room seen in "who watching the titans." Wisps of steam rise from the floor. This has been a sort of highlight reel and sales pitch that was displayed on the monitor, and her words mark the first time someone refers to Slade by name.

Slade: Impressive. Truly. However, robots and obstacle courses only prove so much.

Extreme close-up of his eye on the end of this, then pull back across the space to give a good view of it for the first time. The monitor is one of several in a row, and the platform on which the headmistress stands stops short of them in an overhang. Slade's vantage point is at the other end. He leads her away from the screen and deeper into the machinery; pan to follow.

Slade: My plans demand operatives who can function in the real world. (They step onto a catwalk.) If your students are going to serve me...

They reach a darkened area with two spotlights shining down from above. One pool of light is occupied by the three graduates; she steps into the other while he sits in the blackness.

Slade: ...they'll have to pass one final exam. (Extreme close-up of his eye.) Destroy the Teen Titans, (Pull back to frame all.) and then we'll talk.

The light on the four goes out, and the headmistress bows before hers is extinguished as well. Only the outline of Slade's figure and his eye are visible now. The remaining light source is switched off to black out the screen.