Chapter Five: A Stranger's Kindness

Saoirse couldn't escape the bar fast enough. Her cheeks had burned with embarrassment when she realized her money held no value in this place. However, just as she was about to slink away in defeat, the bartender had taken pity on her. He had given her a free meal, likely due to how horrific she looked after her hike through the woods. However, he made it abundantly clear it was a one-time deal.

Grateful, yet acutely aware of the curious stares from the other patrons, Saoirse accepted the offer, each bite of food a bittersweet reminder of her current predicament. Devouring the heavenly meal hastily, the exquisite flavors and textures failed to outweigh the discomfort caused by the lingering stares from the bar's clientele.

Saoirse knew she had to find a place to spend the night. She wandered through the streets of Velaris, scanning the facades for any sign of lodging. Eventually, she stumbled upon a quaint inn nestled between two bustling shops. Pushing open the wooden door, she entered the cozy establishment, the warmth of the hearth washing over her.

Approaching the counter, Saoirse found herself face to face with the innkeeper, a stern-looking woman with a no-nonsense air about her.

"Good evening," she greeted her, trying to muster as much confidence as she could.

The innkeeper glanced up from her ledger, her expression unreadable as she sized up the disheveled stranger before her. "Can I help you?" she asked, her tone businesslike.

Saoirse cleared her throat, steeling herself for what she was about to do. "I'm looking for a place to spend the night," she began, her voice steady despite the nerves fluttering in her stomach. "I'm willing to work for it, whatever you need – cleaning, dishes, whatever. I just need a roof over my head."

The innkeeper regarded her with skepticism, her gaze flickering over Saoirse's worn attire. "We're not hiring at the moment," she replied briskly, her tone leaving no room for argument.

"Please," Saoirse begged, her voice trembling. "I'll do anything. I don't need much – just a corner to sleep in, even if it's on the floor in the back. I just...I need to get off the streets. I'm new in town, and..."

"I'm sorry, miss," the innkeeper cut her off. "We can't accommodate you tonight. Perhaps you should try your luck elsewhere."

Saoirse trudged out of the inn and back into the street.

"Money," she whispered to herself, the word echoing with the weight of her desperation. Observing the ceaseless activity of the bustling city streets, she realized that time was slipping away with each passing moment. She took a deep breath and began searching for suitable corner where she could earn some much-needed funds.

After a few minutes, she found a quiet corner on a bustling street, the soft strumming of her guitar mingling with the ambient noise of the city. With a deep breath, she closed her eyes and let her fingers dance across the strings.

As she played, a small crowd began to gather, drawn in by the haunting beauty of her music. Their footsteps slowed, their conversations hushed as they listened, captivated by the raw emotion woven into each note. Saoirse opened her eyes, almost stopping in surprise that people were actually listening. This sort of attention was rare back home. Despite the ache in her fingers and the weariness in her bones, Saoirse played on, her voice rising above the noise of the city.

But as the night stretched on and the crowd began to disperse, Saoirse realized with a sinking feeling that she had not earned enough to secure a place to sleep. With a heavy heart, she packed up her guitar and counted her meager earnings, the weight of her disappointment almost suffocating. As she picked up her guitar and began to walk away, she heard someone shout. Saoirse turned around, scanning the area for the source of the voice. "Must have been looking for someone else," she thought to herself.

"You, girl," the voice came again, this time closer.

Saoirse turned around once more, spotting the owner of the voice. She waved in acknowledgment as the girl continued to approach.

"That music - I've never heard it before," the girl continued, her curiosity piqued.

"That would be because I wrote it," Saoirse responded with a small smile.

The girl raised her eyebrows, her gaze traveling up and down Saoirse slowly, taking in her appearance. Saoirse felt a flush creeping up her cheeks under the scrutiny, aware of how disheveled she must appear. "You're not from around here," the girl stated matter-of-factly, her tone carrying a hint of curiosity.

Saoirse nodded, her smile fading slightly. "No, I'm not. My name's Saoirse. I'm... just passing through," she replied, her voice tinged with a hint of uncertainty.

The girl extended her hand, a warm smile gracing her lips. "Elaine," she introduced herself. "It's nice to meet you."

Saoirse shook Elaine's hand, grateful for the unexpected kindness. "Likewise, Elaine," she said, her voice soft with appreciation.

Elaine's expression turned thoughtful as she glanced at Saoirse's guitar case and then back to Saoirse herself, taking in her appearance once more. "You mentioned you're just passing through. Do you have a place to stay for the night?" she inquired gently, her voice carrying a note of concern.

Saoirse hesitated, her gaze dropping to the ground. "Not exactly," she admitted reluctantly. "I was hoping to earn enough from busking to get a room at the inn, but..." She trailed off, gesturing helplessly at her meager earnings.

Elaine's brow furrowed in concern. Without a word, she reached into her pocket and withdrew a handful of coins, then pressed them into Saoirse's hand. "Here," she said softly. "This should be enough for a room at the inn. Tell them Elain sent you."

Saoirse blinked in surprise. "Elaine, I can't accept this," she protested, her voice firm.

Elaine shook her head, her smile warm and reassuring. "Consider it a gift," she insisted. "You shouldn't have to spend the night on the streets when there's a warm bed waiting for you at the inn."

Saoirse nodded slowly, her eyes beginning to fill at the unexpected kindness of this stranger. "Thank you, Elaine. Thank you so much," she whispered, unable to form more words.

Elaine offered Saoirse a sympathetic smile. "You're welcome, Saoirse. Take care of yourself, alright?"

With a grateful nod, Saoirse watched as Elaine disappeared into the crowd, hands clenched tightly around the coins.