Chapter Three: Lost in the Woods

Saoirse rummaged through her bag, her fingers grasping for the reassuring weight of her phone. With a surge of hope, she pulled it out and stared at the screen, silently pleading for even a single bar of signal.

"Please work," she muttered under her breath, her heart pounding with anxiety. But as she tapped and swiped frantically, her hopes were dashed with each unsuccessful attempt to connect. No signal. No lifeline. Just the oppressive silence of the forest.

"Damn it," she cursed softly, frustration bubbling up inside her. Clutching her guitar tightly, she scanned her surroundings, searching for any sign of life amidst the endless sea of trees.

"Hello?" she called out, her voice echoing into the quiet expanse. But there was no response, only the rustle of leaves in the breeze and the distant chirping of birds.

"Mia, what the hell?" Saoirse muttered to herself, her anger simmering beneath the surface. "Did you bring me out here to kill me or something?"

With a resigned sigh, Saoirse slung her guitar over her shoulder and made a decision. She couldn't stay here, waiting for something to happen.

"I can't just stand here," she said to herself. Setting her jaw, she looked left, then right, and finally chose a direction to start walking.

As Saoirse trudged through the dense undergrowth, her senses heightened by the eerie stillness of the forest, she couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. Every rustle of leaves, every snap of a twig underfoot sent a shiver down her spine, and she quickened her pace. The canopy above cast dappled shadows on the forest floor, the fading light of dusk painting the trees in shades of deep green and gold. Despite the beauty of her surroundings, Saoirse couldn't find solace in the natural splendor around her. Instead, she felt a creeping sense of unease settling over her like a heavy cloak.

Saoirse couldn't suppress a sarcastic eye-roll as memories of her mother's relentless push to join the Girl Scouts flooded her mind. She recalled her mother's fervent lectures on the importance of learning survival skills and being prepared for any situation. "Because you never know when you might find yourself lost in a dark forest without a compass or a granola bar," Saoirse quipped, a wry grin tugging at the corners of her lips.

At the time, Saoirse had brushed off her mother's "wise" advice with a dismissive wave of her hand, preferring to spend her days strumming her guitar and dreaming of musical stardom. "Who needs to know how to start a fire with two sticks when you can write a killer chorus?" she had reasoned.

But now, as she wandered aimlessly through the dense foliage, the irony of her situation was not lost on her. "Sorry, mom," Saoirse muttered, the humor in her voice tinged with a hint of self-deprecation. With a resigned shake of her head, Saoirse pushed aside thoughts of what could have been and focused on the task at hand. Whether she liked it or not, she was on her own in this forest, and it was up to her to find a way out – Girl Scout badge or not.

Hours seemed to pass as she walked, her footsteps echoing in the stillness of the forest. The sky above grew darker, the first stars twinkling to life amidst the canopy of trees. Saoirse's stomach growled with hunger, a reminder of the fact that she hadn't eaten since before her performance at the bar. She paused to rest against a gnarled tree trunk, exhaustion beginning to weigh heavily on her limbs.

As she sat there in the gathering darkness, the events of the evening replayed in her mind like a broken record. With each passing moment, exhaustion weighed heavily on her eyelids, threatening to pull her into the depths of sleep. She tried to fight it, to stay awake and alert in the eerie stillness of the forest, but the pull of slumber was too strong to resist. Her eyelids grew heavy, drooping with the weight of fatigue as her body succumbed to the irresistible call of sleep. She fought to keep her eyes open, to stay vigilant in the face of the unknown dangers lurking in the shadows. But as the minutes stretched into hours, her resistance waned, and eventually, she slipped into the embrace of sleep, her mind drifting into a realm of dreams and uncertainty.