NINE

Around noon you prepare to head back into town to buy some groceries as they had quickly diminished a lot faster than you had anticipated. As you get ready, you have a list being passed between everyone so they can write down anything they want so you can actually get food that they'll enjoy. They haven't exactly made any complaints about the food they've been eating but that might just be because Hannibal is an incredible chef who can make anything taste good.

"H-Here you go." Norman shyly hands you back the list once he finished writing what he wanted on it, having been the last to do so. You thank him before scanning over the list, laughing inwardly at how different everyone's handwriting is. It's quite easy to tell what handwriting belongs to who based off of how clean or sloppy it is. Surprisingly, Lester has the sloppiest handwriting but at least it's still legible.

"Alright everyone. I'll be back in a few hours. Make sure you don't destroy the house while I'm gone." This is the first time you're leaving them all alone at the house. You're a bit nervous but you know you don't have much of a choice since asides from Lester, you're the only person able to go out in public. And no offense to him, but you don't really trust him to do the grocery shopping.

Putting the list in your pocket along with your wallet, you head out the front door only to instantly freeze as you're suddenly swept up into a pair of large arms. You nearly panic until you manage to catch the slightest glimpse of the persons mask which instantly calms your nerves and fills you with relief and happiness instead.

"Jason! I've missed you so much!" You eagerly hug him back. Once he puts you down after a few minutes you lead him over to the porch chairs so you can sit and chat with him, completely forgetting about going to the store. "How have you been? Was everything alright with the camp?"

Jason's eyes fill with sadness and you feel a bit bad for asking. 'The camp was destroyed. Everything was gone.'

"I'm so sorry." You reach over, gently grasping his hand as you try to comfort him. You know that the camp meant everything to him and to hear that it was destroyed in his absence is heartbreaking. If everything is gone, then that means all of his belongings are too, and that unfortunately includes his mothers head which you read about in his files.

'Not your fault.' Jason gives your hand a gentle squeeze in appreciation. 'I knew there was a chance of it being destroyed with me being gone. Wasn't there to protect it.'

"It wasn't your fault either. There was nothing you could've done to prevent any of this from happening." You know that he feels as if it's his fault. That he feels as if he failed his mother by getting caught and sent away making it to where he wasn't there to keep the camp safe. It breaks your heart knowing you can offer nothing more than words and comfort to him.

The conversation is cut short when the front door opens to reveal Danny. He looks between the two of you, likely already understanding the situation. "Hey big guy. Glad to see you made it here safely. Wanna come in and choose your room?"

Jason shakes his head. 'Stay outside.'

"Staying outside, huh? Are you gonna build a little shack to stay in or something?" Jason nods in confirmation. "I'm sure a few of us can help out if you want us to. Chop down some trees or whatever. I know Bo has been going crazy having nothing to do."

"That sounds good." You agree, letting them know they have your permission to do so. "Why don't you guys go ahead and pick out a nice little area for his shack and I'll add the needed tools to the shopping list."

Once both men agree and walk off to scout out a good spot, you finally head to your car to go shopping. You weren't expecting Jason to suddenly show up so you got quite distracted and almost entirely forgot about what you came outside for in the first place. Thankfully Danny came outside and got Jason's attention, otherwise you would've been stuck outside talking to him for the rest of the day instead of going into town as planned.

Unfortunately, you now have to spend even more money in order to get the required tools for Jason to build his shack. It also means you'll have to stop at a hardware store which will extend your shopping trip and make it to where you come home much later than planned. Hopefully you manage to get everything that's needed as quickly as possible, and if not then you'll just have to go back the next day.

The last thing you want is to try driving back at night when it's hard to see. Living in the woods means there's lots of animals roaming around and you'd feel terrible if you accidentally ran one over. That's one of the main downsides of living in the middle of nowhere- no street lights and lots of wild animals. The other main downside is the long travel time to reach the nearest town.

You can only hope that nothing happens while you're gone to keep you from getting home as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~

I have the next few chapters already planned. I hope y'all are ready for them.