Ch. 7

"Do you want to look around our area today?I heard there's a fair nearby. The language, culture are kind of different here, you need to go out to be familiar " Shubman suggested the in the afternoon, when Ishan was busy flipping through a particular book.

It's been almost 3 days and Shubman could see Ishan slowly coming out of the shell, the boy is a jolly extrovert with a very innocent mindset he observed. But Ishan was still being conscious, he could see Ishan still didn't recover from past incidents, so he thought going out might make his mind fresh.

"But I have the test tomorrow" Ishan looked up.
"Ishan, it's only a short walk, let's go! Also I believe you are already smart enough to pass the test" Shubman said, snatching the book away from Ishan's hold.

"Okay fine" Ishan got up from the chair with a slight smile on his face.

They walked together on the footpaths of busy streets of Kolkata, Ishan looked around to see many shops, men pulling rickshaws and many big houses , each having heavy royal touches. Few yellow taxis with one or two buses passed by them, sound of bells making him look at the man selling namkeens. He observed hints of unknown letters mixed with curved English writing all around him, Ishan assumed that's the native language.

Kolkata looked very developed than his village, a big city. Ishan didn't realise when he held Shubman's hand so tightly, from the anxiety rising in him for being exposed in such a huge city for the first time in his lifetime.

Ishan felt a squeeze in his hand from the taller boy, "It's okay, I am with you"
Shubman said, eyes focusing on the road as he made Ishan cross the road with him.

They reached at the side of a river, the soothing cool evening breeze made Ishan close his eyes in peace, still holding Shubman's hands he looked at him, "This is river Ganga, the stream of peace flowing in the midst of constant chaos of the city, I love to sit in Ganga par, it soothes my worries."
Shubman said, looking at how the orange sky glistened the small waves of the river.

"I agree" Ishan said, taking a deep breath to relax even more.

"Wait here for a minute, okay" shubman excused himself , making Ishan nod.

Ishan sat one the nearby small bench, watching the river flow by.
He felt Shubman sitting beside him soon, a small clay cup with milk tea being extended towards him.

"Aapko kaise pata chala I needed it?" Ishan said, accepting the hot cup carefully.

"I just know everything" they both chuckled, taking sips of the chai.

"Ishan, you know life is very unpredictable, I didn't believe it  could be this extreme until I heard your story. I am really proud of you for still going, for still believing a total stranger. You are really brave" shubman said.

Ishan chuckled, "I am not brave, I just realised within seconds I had nothing to loose. The last one I had was my sister, I tried my best to save her and now I am just... Living."

Ishan didn't know, it wouldn't be as true within the next few months.

Shubman stared, he could sense Ishan and his situation are pushing his real self down with all pressure. But Shubman committed to himself that he would do anything to make Ishan happy, untill the time Ishan would want to stay with him. In fact, He took his responsibility with his own will.

Ishan's face couldn't help but lit up seeing the pinwheels , balloons and colourful stalls everywhere.
"Aapko kuch kharidna hai?" Shubman asked.
Ishan his head in denial as they walked by the stalls.
Shubman stopped in one stall to look at some showpieces, when Ishan's eyes caught a single necklace which was dangling, it was made up of white pearl like beeds. Ishan touched the necklace, he found it beautiful.
He smiled taking his hand back, just like he always did. Ishan always let go of his wishes , let it be his studies, the big portion of his favourite halwa, his favourite kanche or the one expensive pen he picked up from school ground.
Even the money he earned, he never used it for himself rather than buying food. Ishan always gave his precious belongings to his sister and his family.

Even that day, he did the same.
"Shubi?" He tucked his sleeves,
"Can we please buy that?" Ishan pointed at a set of colourful bangles.

"You like them?" Shubman asked , confused.

"No- for Rohi, she wanted new ones for next chaat Puja... I don't know if I can meet her but, I want to just-" Ishan looked down, not being able to say anything else.

"Bhaiya, ye de dijiye"

Ishan looked up at the boy with a fond smile.

"So, how did you like the city?" Shubman asked laying at one side of the bed.

"It's.... Very big, I am scared i would be lost" Ishan pouted, laying on the other side of the bed, a good distance in between.

"It's okay, you will get used to it" shubman turned to his side, "goodluck for tommorow Ishan, sleep well"

It was probably the midnight, Shubman woke up as he heard some unclear noise from his side.
Shubman turned to see Ishan, who's face was red , tears streaming down. His chest was heaving up and down and he struggled to stay still.

"Ishan what happened?" He moved to his side, cupping his tear stained cheeks gently.
"P-please don't-  t-touch , I- have n-none" Ishan stuttered in his sleep as he struggled to breath.

"Ishan! Wake up!" Shubman shook the boy's face to wake him up, as he realised the boy must be having nightmares.

Ishan didn't wake up,
" Y-yaha bohot thand hai, koi nahi hai" ishan mumbled again. Shubman's heart broke.

"Mai hoon na Ishan, please wake up!" Shubman said in loud voice, shaking the boy again.

This made Ishan wake up , he panted looking at shubman with wide eyes.

"It was a dream Ishan, calm down" ishan closed his eyes , trying to calm himself down.

"Paani" Ishan said, shubman rushed to get the glass from his bedside, offering it to Ishan.

Ishan finished the glass putting it back.
"I am sorry f-for disturbance" Ishan apologized.
"It isn't in your control Ishu, I am your friend and you don't have to apologise.  I will always be there for you" shubman smiled , patting his cheek.

"Now try to sleep again, I am here with you" shubman moved away to his place.

Ishan gulped.

"S-shubi.. Darr lag raha hai" Ishan said, tugging into shubman's shirt to keep him from moving away.

Shubman stopped, he took a minute to look at the boy , before saying,
"Come here"

He circled his arms around Ishan's small waist, pulling him in his embrace. Ishan again felt too safe in those arms , all his tears came out in the feeling.

"Shhh, sab thik ho jayega Ishu" shubman said , running his fingers through the crying boy's hair, rubbing circled on his back to calm him down.

Ishan's sobs finally calmed down, eyelids being heavy again.
"Sleep well, I am always here Ishu"
Was last thing Ishan heard before going to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------

New update!
Hope you liked the chap.
Also not at me adding my fantasies of having a date with two cup chai on a riverside here, bas esa koi mil nahi raha hai 😟