Eight

TWO SUMMERS AGO

Runaway

AURORA  ♥︎

⇄ ◁◁ 𝚰𝚰 ▷▷ ↻

1:01 ━━●━━───── 4:08

"I felt alive and I can't complain 

But no, take me home

Take me home where I belong

I can't take it anymore"

"Wave," Clementine whined, slamming her book down. "Why do I even have to do this? There's no point in learning how to read if all I'm ever going to be is a fisherman."

It was true. Male or female, the residents of District Four set out to the docks for a lifelong journey of fishing as soon as they turned eighteen, the transition from childhood to adulthood. The same transition from the Capitol's hold with the Reaping into partial freedom. As much freedom as they could manage under the Capitol's rule, anyway.

Waverli rolled her eyes. "We've gone over this, Clem," Waverli grabbed Clementine's discarded book, finding the page she had been on. "It may be a different world by the time you're eighteen, or maybe many years after. Wouldn't it be nice to know how to read if you're famous one day?"

Clementine shrugged. "I won't be famous."

"You don't know that. Not that fame is everything," Waverli added quickly. "It can be a very dangerous tunnel to go down. But, you're a strong girl."

Clementine just stared at her older sister as if she had grown a second head. Clementine would never be famous, nor did she want to be. She'd seen enough of the victors on television to know she would never want to be one of them.

"Read your book," Waverli ordered, tossing her younger sister her book. "You'll thank me later, I promise."

Clementine snorted. "Thank you later, my ass."

"Don't say that!" Waverli reprimanded, swatting at her sister's arm.

"Why can't I say ass?"

Waverli groaned, covering her face with her hands. "You're so annoying, you know that, right?"

Clementine shrugged her shoulders, tossing the book back onto the table. She wasn't going to read no matter what Waverli said. "Not my fault you can't handle the word ass."

"Stop!"

"Why would I stop saying ass?"

"Because," Waverli drug out the word, glaring daggers into Clementine's soul. "It makes you sound stupid. Do you want to be known as the girl who can't find a proper adjective?"

"Yes," Clementine shook her head, making Waverli groan. "I couldn't even begin to explain to you what an adjective is, much less read this book!"

Clementine pointed angrily at the book, crossing her arms over her chest, and letting out a dramatic huff.

Waverli drug a hand along her face, distorting all of her features. "You're impossible, Clem."

"I know," the girl chirped, grinning in fake innocence. "I thrive off of making people's lives Hell."