Two

Castle of Glass

     Linkin Park  ♥︎

⇄ ◁◁ 𝚰𝚰 ▷▷ ↻

1:11 ━━●━━───── 3:24

"'Cause I'm only a crack 

In this castle of glass

Hardly anything there 

For you to see

For you to see"

Clementine's voice caught in her throat as she tried to yell out for her sister, making a weird, pained sound instead. Everli's hand grabbed Clementine's and squeezed it as she watched her sister walk up onto the stage, tears running down her face.

Marina's eyes find her sister's, and she attempts a smile, but all it does is release another sob. She doesn't even hear who will be joining her in the arena from Four. Her mind simply won't function.

Finnick watches Clementine carefully, knowing fully what she was about to do, loving and hating her all at the same time for it.

Clementine watches the boys all let out a relieved sigh as a boy who looked to be about sixteen is called to the stage. The eighteen-year-olds smile at one another, grateful to have made it all the way through without ever being Reaped. The twelve-year-olds shrug their shoulders, realizing it's not that bad if you or a loved one isn't chosen.

Once the boy makes it on stage, that's when the official time for volunteering opens, and Clementine can get out there and save Marina. It might kill her, but it would definitely kill Marina if she didn't.

"Any volunteers?" Katalina prompts, and Marina and Finnick shake their heads no at Clementine, but she was never one to listen to them. She knew she told herself that she would always listen to Finnick, today was an exception.

"I volunteer," she called as she stepped into the aisle to volunteer, and Katalina cheered, attempting to hype the crowd up, but earning nothing but silence in return.

Clementine tries her best to ignore the way her heart is beating faster than the speed of light, or the way the Peacekeepers who are escorting her have their guns prodded into her back, leading her forward. She gulped down the bile in her throat, turning her head away from the Peacekeepers who dragged a screaming Marina away from the stage and back into the crowd.

"A volunteer! The first in a whole decade, folks!" Katalina ushers Clementine forward, grabbing a hold of her hand. "Now, what's your name dear?" Katalina's bright red contacts stared into her soul as she stumbled for words.

"Clementine Caitin," she finally managed, and Katalina gasped.

"That was your sister, wasn't it?" Katalina guesses and Clementine nods.

"Well, go ahead and shake hands you two," Katalina turns the District Four tributes towards one another as they each hold a hand out, and make a quick shake before letting go. Clementine takes this time to examine the boy who was crying. Crying? Why are you crying? Her mind hissed as she looked at him, her lip curling in disgust.

"Pull yourself together!" She growled under her breath, earning a teary glare from the boy.

Katalina smiles widely at the pair before holding their hands up. "District Four's male and female tributes of the 66th Hunger Games! Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!" She cheered, but yet again, it was a dead crowd. They just wanted to go home, much like Clementine.

The mayor said his concluding statement, and then the newest tributes were sent into the Justice Building to wait for visitors who wanted to say their goodbyes.

Clementine sits alone in the room she was assigned, its furnishing easily adding up to more than all of District Four's houses' values combined. Her heart pounded against her chest as it tried to escape, but much like herself, it was trapped in her own skin.

The door burst open suddenly, making Clementine jump as Marina stormed in, ignoring the Peacekeeper telling her she had only three minutes.

"Why did you volunteer?" Marina sobbed, falling into Clementine's embrace.

"I told you I wouldn't let you go into those Games, Mari. Even if that meant I had to volunteer." Clementines soothed her sister, brushing her hair out of her face.

Marina just sobs louder in response. "I can't lose you," she cries, pulling from her sister. "I just can't lose you, too, Clemmy. You're the only person I have left."

Clementine can only smile sadly at her sister. Those were the exact thoughts she had had when she had volunteered; she couldn't lose Marina. She would do her best to protect Marina for the rest of her life, even if that life was cut short by the Games.

"You have to listen to me, Mari" Clementine ordered, grabbing her sister's shoulders roughly. "You need to stay with Mags and help out with Sunny while Finnick and I are gone. You cannot watch the Games, either. You can watch the Tribute Parade, the scores from the individual assessments, and the interviews only. Anything else is a no-go."

They were the same words Finnick had told her when he left for his Games just last year, begging her to stay away from the screens at all costs. It was the best thing he could have ever done for her, besides coming home, but even that had its flaws. Clementine could trust that Mags would know what to do with Marina and Sunny, though.

"Why?" She sniffles, wiping her nose with the palm of her hand.

"If I plan to get home, I'm going to have to change into a person you won't like. A person even I won't like, but it is what it is, sadly. I just don't want you to watch and hate me if I return," Clementine was fighting the tears off with everything she had in her; she had to keep an emotionless facade to win sponsors in the Capitol. That's how Finnick did, so it couldn't hurt to try.

"Promise you'll win," Marina holds out her pinky as a Peacekeeper comes in and goes to grab her, Clementine wrapping her own pinky around her sister's before she's pulled away.

"I love you, Mari!" She shrieks before the door slams and her sister's screams are cut off completely.

Clementine had never felt so numb. Not even after their home went up in flames with Waverli, Makoa, and their unborn baby trapped inside. With the way things were currently going, she wouldn't have to act for the cameras.

"Clemen," Everli sighs as she enters the room, bounding over to the newest tribute and wrapping her in a hug. "You've got this."

Clementine smiled at her friend's confidence, squeezing her tighter. "I'm glad you think so."

"You kidding?" Everli asks. "Because I know so."

Everli stepped back and started attending to Clementine's appearance, brushing her hair with her fingers, straightening her shirt, and wiping off the dirt from her hands before leaning in for another hug, but gentler this time.

"I'll help keep watch after the girls. You know I will. And in the horrible chance something happens to either of them, I'll contact Finnick, okay?" Clementine just nodded against her friend's shoulder, so grateful to have somebody like her by her side.

"Thank you for everything, Eve."

The Peacekeeper opened the door, allowing Everli to squeeze Clementine's hand one more time, before heading towards the door. She looked back at her friend before saying, "The next time I see you, you'll be a victor."