Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Ch 25: Restraint

"Tsk, tsk, little Fireheart."

Irving wags his finger at Cephias while cementing me to his lap in an ice-cold grip. "You were so determined to keep me from damaging the goods yesterday, and yet you were sampling the merchandise. Awfully hypocritical of you."

The Waterhearts snicker and Cephias's skin takes on a harsh shade of red. I shake my head at him, begging him to let it be.

"You killed my betrothed, remember?" Cephias's voice is a deep snarl. Irving's pleased grin is devilish in comparison. "You wanted to remove any prospects my family line had for an heir."

"Hmm," says Irving in mock consideration. "Yes, that sounds like something I would do."

Cephias grits his teeth so hard, I think they might crack.

"Well, you succeeded. I will not bed someone so close to my blood. It's been a lonely couple of decades." He swallows, and the angry knot bounces in his throat. "I did not have the willpower to hold back when I saw her wandering the halls. I needed release, but I did not damage her value. You'll find her maidenhead intact."

"Is that so?" Irving's voice is full of wicked drama. "So you just had a moment of weakness today?"

My dragon nods his head, and I groan. I told him Irving likely knew about the day before because of the blood. He's walking right into a trap.

Not that it matters, there's no way we're winning this. It's now about what answers will lighten our punishment.

"Then answer me this. Why did she have your blood on her hands yesterday?" His voice mocks confusion and Cephias's eyes widen as he comes to the same terrible conclusion I did. Irving, however, continues. "She told me herself that the only Fireheart that's touched her was her guard in the dungeon. So, where did she get your blood?"

My heart aches for Cephias. He may be royalty, but he isn't a diplomat. He wasn't prepared for this kind of sparring and now he sits witless atop his stool.

"Well, Cephias?" Irving draws a cold finger up my arm and over to the base of my throat, sending a bone-chilling shiver through my body.

"I..." My dragon gapes and struggles. Veins pulse beneath his skin as he desperately searches for the words.

Then I feel Irving's breath rush past my ear like a bitter winter breeze.

"This is taking too long. Shall I speed things up by reminding you what happened to the last woman you claimed for yourself?"

His fingers wrap around my neck, and I gasp for air. Yet his fist isn't tight.

I croak and sputter, my eyes rolling to the back of my head as something warm and wet builds inside my throat. My fingers reach for his own and I claw through his hold.

I break it for a moment and a gap forms in my air pipe. A rough wheeze gives voice to my aching lungs and a fit of coughs shakes me atop Irving's lap. Flecks of water splatter my lips as I choke up the knot blocking my breath.

I'm thrust back into my memories of a childhood holiday. I dared to challenge the ocean's might and stepped into the gentle waves brushing the shore. My older brothers wrestled in the frothy waters and I waded out, eager to join them.

Then, the wind whipped up and surged a larger wave forward. It knocked me off my feet and tumbled me beneath the surface before drawing me away from the shore.

My eldest brother pulled me free and brought me to the sandy beach. Then, while still gasping for air, my parents reprimanded me for endangering Arkana's heir.