Chapter

Chapter 13

Inaya POV

4 days later

After you hear this tone, please leave your message.

"Hey..." My voice struggled to maintain a consistent bass and occasionally cracked. This time, to avoid the awful splitting headache, I didn't rush to inform my family that she was gone again, and maybe keeping them busy with the engagement party and so on wouldn't be so horrible. Karib did, however, give me money. For some reason, she assumed that was my language.

"I know there's something wrong...I'm simply not sure how to get through to you." I proceeded to speak. Karib is my first relationship; Hell, we're engaged, and I'm not sure what to do next. She wasn't unwell, so that was resolved.

But something else was happening. Why was this occurring just as we were wrapping up one phase of our relationship and getting ready for the next. She never disappeared on me before. Why now?

"Karib, I need you right now." All ambitions of sticking put, like the obedient fiance, were gone. I needed to know what was happening. "I want to know you..." I genuinely want to know her. But, like myself, who offered my entire life on a silver platter, I was also waiting for her to trade something. She provides me nothing. "They say if you need something, you either get up and get it or go looking for it." And I need to know her. I will go through the entire world to get through to her.

"What I'm saying is that when you come back, please just talk to me...ok bye, I love you." I hang up and turned the phone off.

I gave her enough space, and it was time for me to reach out, whether she wanted it or not. I only hope it does not harm us in the long term.

************

This was it; I was doing exactly what Karib had always wanted: using her money like a greedy whore. I dug inside my purse for the checkbook she had assigned to me. Long before we were engaged, albeit not technically. But after a few dates, she instinctively trusted me with her money, but not with her background.

I wanted her to trust me with everything. If she could trust me with money, why couldn't she trust me with understanding who she truly is?

I know nothing about Karib's childhood. The school she used to go to. Her social life. Her private life. An old connection. Nothing. I even briefly stalked her on the internet. It just showed her performing a few charity. No social media. There are no media profiles of her. It was as if she were a ghost.

And not knowing anything about someone I care deeply about made me sick to my stomach. I felt literally ill to my stomach. Perhaps a portion of her views me solely as a money-digging cunt.

"I suppose a hundred and twenty thousand dollars can cover the engagement party." I chatted with my relatives, who gathered in my mother's little living room. Their eyes widen as they hear the digits. I bit my lips, wanting to get away from them. I despise them. I despise their attitudes. No one notices that the lady I want to spend the rest of my life with is not steady around me.

"Okay, guys, can it." I asked. I had no idea what an engagement party included, and I didn't want to remain around to find out. I'll let Karib money speak while I investigate Karib's true identity.

"So, we'll need food, a venue, a DJ, and a few other things." My mom said. "Soooo." She dragged across the circular shape of her lips. "About one hundred and fifty will suffice."

I nodded. I opened the chequebook and began scribbling down the figures.

I couldn't tell them I had roughly ten million dollars; Karib claimed it was just for me to spend this year. No way in hell was I spending $10 million in a year, and it only got worse when she deposited a couple more millions the day before she left.

I tore the check out and handed it to my mother. But before her ravenous hands could grab it, I withdrew removed it.

She snarled, like a dog having its bone taken away.

"Don't disturb me for the entire week." It was awful that I had to practically pay them off so they wouldn't come to my house and disturb me.

"Give it to me." She gritted.

"Mom." I stared, expecting for her to accept the deal.

"Yes, we will not disturb you. We'll call you next week, in time for the celebration.

"Good." I remarked, passing it to her. I knew the party wouldn't cost much money, but I'd spend whatever it took to get her to leave me alone. "Karib and I need some space." I muttered.

"Why?" Fatima asked. "She doesn't seem to mind having us around."

"Well, I do." I snapped. If they were there, barking in my thoughts like dogs, I wouldn't be able to reach out to Karib as much as I wanted to. And as soon as I left here, my quest of getting to know the woman I love began.