Chapter

Chapter 5

Inaya POV

The brief phone conversation did not settle anything in my heart, but I can't say the same for my family. As long as she phoned back, the wedding would go on.

I made a mistake.

What mistake could have have possibly made. I didn't want to think negatively, yet it was natural for me to do so. Did she cheat on me? Did she regret getting down on one knee and propping the question? I can understand if she called it off. It felt a little rushed nonetheless. We hardly know each other. Only the love we've shared thus far.

Despite this, the comment haunts me throughout the day and night. I have no problem if she says we're going too quickly.

We certainly are. Before our third date, we had already had a kiss. In a month, she told me she loved me, and dammit, so did I.

However, I still don't know her. I'm still not sure who Karib Tates was.

My family.

They'll have a different thought. I know them well. And a part of me cannot let them down. Although I like Karib, my mother was right. 75 million dollars was on the line. That money could benefit them. Being with Karib had been beneficial enough, and that was all I desired. I should never have gotten my family involved. There was no running away.

But I was confident I could have gotten away with dating someone as affluent as her.

When she answered the phone, I felt nervous. I'm just not sure what to anticipate. Was she going to finally explain what she meant?

"Hey." She spoke in a raspy voice. She sounded like she hadn't spoken in years. Was she unwell and not informing me about it?

"Love, are you okay?" I could feel the blood surge to my brain. "I just wanted to know."

"I only need a little space. I am OK."

"Why? Did I do something wrong, Karib?" It's been a week, and I believe she has received more than just space. "What should I tell my family."

"About what?"

"The wedding. If you wish to cancel."

"There is nothing to cancel. You have a money-loaded card. I will add some more to it."

"Would you stop? It's not about money. What is going on?"

"I am OK." I told you I only needed some space. I need to find myself." She whispered. I cautiously sat down on the bed.

"I miss you. What went wrong?"

"You aren't listening to me, Inaya." She snapped. I exhaled, trying not to cry.

"I'm trying to work things out so I can offer you a good answer without seeming insane." What might she have to explain? I know we didn't know each other much. But we were getting there.

"And don't come to me either." She gritted and ended the call.

She definitely has to quit hanging up on me so abruptly.