Chapter Twenty Two

My doctor, Alison, was doing a check up on me. 

She put her stethoscope to my chest, "Breathe"

 I took a deep breath, and she checked it one more time, "And again."

 I took a deep breath and let it out in a big huff.

 "Alison, can I ask you something?" I had grown quite close with the middle aged women, and we often talked about her home life. She was a single mom to a beautiful blue eyed seven year old boy. She liked hiking and bubble baths, but she hated feet and loved the smell of pine trees. 

"Of course, sweet heart." She sat down in a gray rolling chair next to my bed and looked at me expectantly. My mom and dad were at work and my brother was on a date, I smiled at that thought, I was glad he was moving on with life.

 "It's only going to get worse, isn't it?" I whispered my throat suddenly dry.

 She hesitated before she spoke, her face sad, knowing exactly what I was speaking of, "Yes, the cancer has spread so much that there is a chance that the next treatment...won't work." Her voice broke at the end. I nodded my head, thankful that she was so straight up with me, because the last thing I needed was one more person telling me it would be okay especially when it was not.

"So even if I do the treatment I might die. H-how long, um, do you think I would have to live if...if I didn't go through with it?" I asked with a cracked voice.

Her eyes welled up with tears, "Two, maybe three, weeks. But, Winter, there is the possibility that you could live if you did the treatment."

 I shook my bald head, "I'm worn out, Alison. I can't do it anymore. I want to spend the rest of my time with Noah and my family as me, carefree and happy." My voice was a low whisper. She nodded her head in understanding and pulled me in a loving embrace.

 "You're one special girl, Winter. I'll never forget you." She whispered into my shoulder and I hugged her back and smiled sadly. I'd spend the rest of my time with the people I loved.