Growing Up

You yawned, rising your head and looking around. Faline and your mother were already awake.

"Good morning Mother and Faline." You yawned again, your sleep had been so good. Oh well, gotta get up at some point.

"Good morning Fern." Your mother gave you a nuzzle and a lick.

"Morning Fern." Your sister smiled at you.

"What are we doing today?" You asked standing up and stretching your legs one at a time by moving them in the air.

"Back to where I met your father." Your mother replied, standing up. When you looked at her, you could tell today would be a sad day. It was only two weeks ago when we first went to where your mother met your father. And you hadn't returned there since. You wondered what was happening today.

"Come on, we will eat along the way." Your mother walked out of the thicket, looking around incase of danger and when she saw none, she continued walking towards the meadow of red roses.

You and Faline followed her, but you were a few metres behind her.

"What do you think is happening? Mother looks sad." You asked Faline quietly. You and her spots were completely gone now and you had slightly grown since the last time you were at the place your mother met your father.

"I don't know, maybe she'll tell us more information about him?" She replied quietly, as we both didn't want our mother to hear us.

"Maybe." You hummed in thought, finally you arrived at the red rose covered field.

You gasped, even though you had seen it before it was still beautiful.

"Come over here my little ones." Your mother nodded to the empty spot next to her.

You and Faline made your way over, avoiding stepping on any flowers or creatures. 

"What is it mother?" You asked curiously.

"My little ones, I will be telling you about your father." She smiled down at you both.

"Your father was a wonderful buck, he was the kindest and the most friendliest buck I had ever met. He helped the forest creatures in times of need, and he was the best friend of The Great Prince." She told you both.

"You both would have loved him so much." She gazed up at the bright blue sky.

"He was a dark brown colour all over and had blue eyes just like you two." She continued on.

You thought about him in your mind, if you were right about how he looked then you were happy because the picture in your mind was the prettiest deer ever.

"He loved this field, we always met here. Every single day." She looked at you two and sighed.

"You two will stay with me for another year or so, but as you get older I'll teach you to fend for yourselves. And soon I will probably have another fawn." She admitted.

You and Faline gasped, both happy and sad.

"I would love to have another sibling, but I'm not sure if I truly want one yet." Faline looked up at your mother.

"Same." You agreed with Faline.

"That's nice to know you'd be okay with one, but if I had another one it would mean you two leaving me." Your mother sighed sadly.

"Anyways, you two go play. Enough being sad, we have another year or so to be together. But to me that's way too close." She nudged you both to go play.

"Alright, cmon Faline!" You started prancing around elegantly. Every leap you made sure not to step on any flowers.

Faline followed you, and after a while you both were racing around the field.