The Long Time Worker's Secret

“Hmm…”

Ereo looks at the old man and his teen grandson. There are not many people he can hire for farming with the money he has. These two grandfather and grandson accepted his job offer. The grandfather is not that old and he can still carry a sack of rice and the grandson is as old as Kora. He is thin but he is a very determined young man with a bit of a temper.

The two came from a far away place and their communication is a bit bad due to a language barrier. Many discriminate against them despite their abled body and also due to a lot of fights with the grandson.

“We will be very diligent, Sir.” My grandfather is maybe just 50 years old. And the grandson was 13 or 14. He has a black mud on his face and he is always scowling, making him look unpleasant.

“I have a lot of experience in farming. My grandson looks thin but he is very strong.”

“Very well. But since you are a vagrant, where do you two live?” he asks.

“Vagrant doesn’t have a home. We live in a broken abandoned house or temple or just anywhere with a roof.” Zen said with a sneer.

His grandfather smacked the back of his head.

“Please forgive his attitude. But why do you ask this?”

“Actually my family is really poor now but we aren’t usually that poor. It’s like this. How about you make a house on our dry land property? It will give you a home and you can help look after our livestock too?”

“That sounds like a good deal for us but..” the grandfather Falcon looks sharply at Ereo.

“But?” 

“Sir, we are vagrants after all. How can you trust us into your property so easily?”

He said threateningly.

Ereo smirks.

He has played a lot of fighting games.

An aura as threatening as Falcon,it’s not his first time. He even finds it cute. Of course his body can’t actively fight them outside games.

“Vagrants are scary people. If you help look after my livestock those pesky and calculating villagers will not be so easily thick skinned and will think twice before taking advantage of us. You see, I am the only male in my family and I can’t stress how troublesome it is to make sure our property won’t be swallowed by terrible Clan members. You on the other hand will benefit more from me. I will pay you for working on the field, I’ll give you a place to live for free and all you have to do is just be a casual guard for the livestock.  If I die, these things will be taken by the Clan and even if you are powerful the Village can find people to send you away if you resist them. So isn’t it a better deal for both of us?”

“......”

Zen rolls his eyes.

“Why are you offering this to us? You can’t possibly think we won’t be suspicious of you?”

“Says the one with the mud on his face?” Ereo raises a brow.

Zen flinched.

“I’m sure you two also have a story. But staying in the port will make you meet a lot of people traveling. Isn’t the whole point of hiding is to not be exposed? If you stayed in our village, It’ll be even more beneficial, right? And you might be able to live with a little more restraint. Well, please decide now cause I still need to return home.”

“Please give us a minute.” Falcon said.

The two step away and discuss.

“It seems that Zen is the problem. He is so young yet his temper is so great. Maybe he is a noble who is on the run. No ordinary person can have such a temper anyways.”

The two finally have a concession.

“We agreed. But we want you to only sign a 2 year contract and since we will also be looking after livestock, it’ll be harder for us to accept other jobs outside our contract so adding 10 more copper won’t be too much to ask.”

“......” 30 copper bits a day. It was too expensive in this place. But it was also something you can barely live with if you are a working adult. Eating consumes a lot of money and you need to buy clothes and other things too. 

“Alright. Depending on your job, I’ll also give a paid vacation leave and year end bonus. I’m not a bad boss and of course I expect my generosity will be greatly appreciated and it’ll reflect in your work.” He smiles.

Zen sneers.

‘He really thinks these copper bits make him rich.’

Zen is still bitter but he has been here for a year now. He understands hunger and he even misses hot soup on a cold winter night.

Whoever he was in the past doesn’t matter anymore. He felt pathetic but that’s what it is.

“There is a house here. My father built this house for my mother who enjoyed staying in this bamboo area when she was pregnant with my youngest sister. It’s still relatively new and livebable. Come inside. There are four rooms. You can use two except for the master’s bedroom. Use the other for storage.

There are a few cooking ware but there are no supplies since it’s been a while since we used this bamboo house. Clean up for now. I’ll ask my sister to cook for you too so don’t worry about tonight's meal.”

Ereo said.

The two look around. It’s really a liveable house. There is just a lot of dust. The master’s bedroom was tightly shut. But it seems it was shut for a long time.

“Thank you.”

Falcon felt a little touch.

“We will rely on you later too anyways.” Ereo laughs.

“There are beddings and pillows in the compartment. They are old but still usable. Make yourself comfortable. I’ll be back later.”

Zen sits down and touches the bed. It was a very hard bed. After Ereo left he finally sobs.

It was a hard life.

“Young master…” Falcon felt bad and hugged him.

“Stop. Don’t call me that anymore. If father really wanted to find me he has a lot of ways. It was me who kept believing. Now, I can only live this life.”

The old man sighs.

“Madam would want you to return to your rightful place, young master. But to be honest, I don't think that place is any better than living in hell.”

Zen chuckles.

“Forget it. Let’s live here and try our best to see this through.”

“I’ll follow your wishes.”

Falcon bows.