42

Word Count: 1866

~Onyx

I step inside the building, my senses heightened.

There is no relaxing while I'm here. The Meeting of the Alpha's is hosted on neutral territory. No one is favoured here. Everyone is vulnerable.

We cannot bring our own guards or soldiers, maids or servants. No weapons are not permitted, and violence is generally unacceptable.

This is supposed to be a diplomatic meeting. It never is.

Sienna's hand is damp, pressed into mine as we walk through the grand hall of the Alpha's palace. It's far older than any of us Alpha's, and yet is timelessly beautiful.

There is opulence everywhere. The marble floor is a mosaic of colour, depicting every Pack's signet. When the massive, glittering chandelier shines at night, it coaxes out vibrant colours.

Sienna gazes around, her eyes glazed, lips parted.

I've never brought her before. It's been far too dangerous, but as my mistress, she has immunity. Still, I'll be keeping a watching eye on her this entire time.

Some of these Alpha's will see her attachment to me and they will salivate around her like hungry beasts.

My good friend strolls over, his hands tucked behind his back, brows raised.

"You're late," he notes, stopping before me.

"Lennon. It's good to see you." I hold my hand out, shaking his.

Lennon is the only Alpha I trust implicitly. Our Packs have been allies for a great deal of time, and being that he's many years older than me, he was friends with my father. That means a lot to me.

"You're looking well. Congratulations on the marriage," he says.

He wasn't in attendance due to his wife being sick at the time. She's battled with the same illness for as long as I've been Alpha.

"Thank you."

Lennon turns his sharp blue eyes to Sienna, who is pressed against me, intimidated by all the important stares lingering in our direction.

"Hello there, Sienna. I hope you are doing well. My wife is looking forward to see you," he says, rubbing her arm kindly.

She smiles. "It's good to see you too, Lennon."

I scan the area, seeing Maren, Imogen and Rhode and many of their lackeys, but not who I am anticipating.

"Is he here?" I ask Lennon lowly.

"I'm assuming you mean Zion," he deadpans. "Not yet, but he will be here for dinner tonight."

"Great," I mutter.

I'm more afraid of myself than anyone else. I don't trust how I react in his presence. Memories of my fathers suffering come back to me, urging on the darkest side of me.

"I suggest you keep it peaceful. Maren and Imogen are looking for reasons to turn against you," Lennon imparts, nodding across the hall to where the two stand, heads together, talking lowly.

Imogen is the oldest Alpha current in power. She has her dark grey hair pulled back as usual, giving her face a gaunt, pointed look about it.

I tap my lower lip, not intimidated in the slightest watching the two confer. Imogen is a force, but with Maren, she is only weakened.

"Maren is far more impulsive and reactionary than me, and yet I'm the one Rhode is so afraid of," I mutter distastefully.

I look toward Rhode, who lingers in the corner. He's been watching me. I've felt his gaze. Yet, the moment I cast mine in his direction, he quickly looks down at his feet, making me laugh roughly under my breath.

He's tall and lanky with slumped shoulders from a permanent lack of confidence. He thinks appearing meek and malleable at these events will make us less likely to declare war on him.

"You did knock his brother out cold a couple years ago," Lennon reminds me.

I laugh, staring Rhode down. It's cruel of me, but I enjoy watching him squirm.

The man wanted nothing to do with being an Alpha. After his mother died in childbirth, taking the poor little soul with her, he just had his terminally ill father and exhausting brother. Being that his brother was a chronic liability, he had to take the position for the betterment of the Pack.

Thankfully for him, it's relatively small, landlocked and lacking any valuable resource that could tempt any of us to invade.

"I did us all a favour. Now his brother doesn't attend these ridiculous meetings, and we don't have to hear that grating voice of his," I state, finally relieving the man by looking away.

"Indeed." Lennon scans a keen gaze across the room before landing back at me. "Zion will poke and he will prod. Don't react."

"I won't. I have Sienna here, and her presence alone calms me."

I look to my supposed mistress, who is really just my best friend. She gives me a reassuring smile, squeezing my hand. Regardless, I can feel her apprehension.

I'm not sure what it is about Zion, but he unnerves her more than any other Alpha.

"Onyx!" A loud, grating voice calls out. "You finally arrived."

All eyes turn to man whose booming voice fills the space. He stalks closer, his gait loose and his arms stretched wide. The top buttons of his blue shirt are undone, and his pants hang low over his hips.

Lennon sighs and my jaw tightens. Alston.

Although he's only a couple years older than me, he lacks maturity. I refuse to underestimate him, though. He laughs and jokes his way into everyone's political business before violently pulling the rug out from under them.

I don't trust him. And he's utterly unbearable.

"Hello Alston," I greet begrudgingly.

The man's eyes are lit up with mirth, a brilliant, vibrant blue. His light brown hair is curly and floppy, far too unkempt for such an important meeting.

That's part of his strategy. He doesn't like to be taken seriously.

"You always make these events more interesting," he says, patting my shoulder as if I'm not tempted to rip his arm off. "I swear you're the only one to get Maren riled up."

"I'm sure you can manage that just fine," I mutter, watching, jealous as Lennon peels away, leaving the room entirely. "Where have you been the last two years?"

"Doing far more interesting things." His grin doesn't slip for a moment. "I'm only here because Zion is coming and I want to see you start a war."

He's probing me for information so I keep my expression neutral.

"You're my neighbour. I'm sure you'll intervene," I challenge.

He keeps his smile wry, but doesn't take my bait. Our Pack's tolerate each other, but I wouldn't call our relationship friendly. He would side with Zion if it came down to it.

"Depends." Alston shifts his gaze to Sienna, whose side is pressed against mine. "Hello there. You must be Violet."

"Sienna," I correct. "My mistress."

Alston knows Sienna isn't Violet. There is no way he hasn't seen images from our wedding, or heard about the daughter of a very prominent advisor. He just wants to dig into the nature of Sienna and I's relationship.

"Mistress. How wonderful." His grin curves wide and uninhibited.

Sienna holds her hand out for him to shake politely. "It's nice to meet you, Alston."

He takes it, leaning down to press a kiss to the top of her hand. I feel a muscle in my jaw tick.

"It is my absolute pleasure to be in your presence," he purrs, dragging his gaze down her body. Sienna shifts, uncomfortable with his blatant inspection of her, tucking her hands back behind her back.

"Don't look at her like that," I warn darkly.

"It's a bit hypocritical don't you think?" Alston nudges me, clearly not concerned about keeping his arm attached to his body. "Your wife must share you with Sienna, but you won't share Sienna with an admirer."

I force myself to draw in a calming breath. Even if he is attracted to her, he doesn't get to call himself an admirer of her.

"It's more so that I have no desire to share her with you, Alston," I mutter.

Alston inches imperceptibly closer to Sienna. "Why don't you have another night of pleasure with Maren, and I'll look after your mistress."

I barely manage to hide my wince as Sienna's head whips toward me.

"Wait, what?"

"Move along, Alston." I shove his shoulder. "Go burn off some energy so we can talk business later."

If I have to stand here for another minute watching him inspect Sienna like she's what is being served at dinner tonight, I'm going to start a war that will flatten his pack and win me no allies.

"See you at dinner, Sienna." He winks, before he departs, sauntering toward Rhode.

Sienna immediately turns to me, keeping her voice low. "You slept with Maren?"

I look down at her. "Didn't I tell you?"

"No!"

She seems both amused and...irritated? Jealous? Perhaps a little sad?

"It was years ago. I was barely nineteen and couldn't hold my liquor. Trust me, it was a mistake I wish very much to never repeat it again." I slide my hands into my pockets, trying not to draw attention from the other Alpha's.

Sienna scans Maren's person before she shudders, a mental image clearly haunting her.

"Yuck," she grumbles before a sly smile plays on her lips. "Perhaps I should get my fun with an Alpha and-"

"I think you've had plenty of fun with an Alpha before." I raise my brows at her. "If you want more, feel free to ask."

Her cheeks flush and her stare darts to the floor. No one else will ever be touching her again - especially not another Alpha. If Alston thinks his seduction will work, he has another thing coming.

"Onyx..." She tucks a piece of hair behind her ear coyly.

"Don't give Alston much attention. He will attempt to seduce you the moment you're alone, and he's not the lovemaking type," I warn quietly, although I know she won't be running into his arms tonight.

"I have no interest in him," she says, affirming my suspicions. "I'm going to head up to the room if you don't mind. You should probably go speak to Rhode. He's looking ready to vomit from your presence."

I glance at the Alpha who is being talked to by Alston but who has his gaze trained on me.

Coward.

"Alright. Let me know if you need me." I press a kiss to Sienna's forehead before she slips away.

Maren and Alston's eyes are locked on her as she walks across the hall and toward the staircase. I watch them carefully, knowing no one will dare follow her with me present.

I turn my attention toward the other Alpha's. Time to do what I came here for.

🤍••🤍

Thank you to everyone who has subscribed to this story over on Inkitt! Over there, you can read 15 chapters ahead!

If you would like to read more of The Alpha's Mistress, you can read over 10 chapters ahead on Radish!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you for reading (:

I would love if you could check out my new story A GOD AMONGST WOLVES out now on Wattpad!

~Midika 💜🐼