16

Word Count: 1842

~Sienna

The village is dead today.

The shops remain open, although very few brave the impending weather. To my dismay, I bowed to peer pressure and agreed to travel here to get dresses for an event coming up.

The problem is a storm is coming, and I'm terrified of them.

"I'm getting the feeling we shouldn't have come out today," I say uneasily, looking toward the sky as we walk down the cobbled street.

Alex, Rowan, Kayn and I have been here for a few hours now, and I've spent the entire time worried about the impending storm. The generous knot in my stomach is starting to really hurt.

"Why not?" Alex asks lightly.

"It looks like it's about to rain any moment now." I chew on my lower lip. That and my nails are suffering the brunt of my anxiety.

"It's just rain." Alex smiles assuredly, unaware of my crippling fear. "Come, we haven't looked in this store."

She grabs my sleeve, practically dragging me to a cute little store on the corner of the street. It's stuffed with mounds of dresses, the cost of which I don't think I want to learn.

"I think I've seen enough of puffy dresses. I'm waiting out here." Rowan mutters, leaning his back against the window.

Alex rolls her eyes. "Buzzkill."

"Yeah, I might wait out here too." Kayn looks at me as if for permission.

I couldn't care less. I just want to get this over with.

"That's okay. Come on, Alex." This time I drag her into the store.

Some cloying floral scent immediately overwhelms my senses as we enter. Everything here is beautiful, handmade and exactly Alex's style.

"Oh I just love this colour," she gushes, pulling a sea foam green dress off the rack, holding it up against her body. "What do you think?"

"I have the perfect shoes you can borrow that go amazing with that dress," I tell her, sitting on one of the bright pink seats outside the changing room so I can wait for her to try it on.

"Really? Oh that's just great."

She disappears behind the cloth, drawing it closed behind her.

"What about you? You still haven't chosen a dress," she exclaims.

"I might make one." I pick at a piece of thread on my pants.

"Oh...why?"

"Because I can, and I like recycling old clothing," I say. "About once a month or so the entire household brings together their old clothing and we all swap. Even Onyx does it, and Lucia. Whatever isn't taken is donated. I haven't had to buy new clothing in forever."

"I like that."

Since doing this, random staff members have been seen parading around in Lucia's expensive shoes or Onyx's lavish suits.

The event in which we need dresses is a ball, hosted by the Alpha of a neighbouring Pack. Maren, her name is, and she only hosts these to embarrass, manipulate or sleep with her political opponents.

I would respect her if she wasn't such a bitch to me every time I come near her.

"So don't worry about me."

Alex pulls back the curtain, revealing her in the dress. I compliment her profusely. She looks stunningly regal I'm her dress, and it hugs all the right places in such a way that's going to draw a lot of attention.