20

Word Count: 2009

~Sienna

My curtains billowing wildly wake me.

Blinking my eyes open, I promptly realise my window has been left open. Rain litters the floor, creating a dense puddle in the carpet. Leaping up, I slam is closed before stepping back.

I must have been so exhausted last night that I left it open.

Rubbing my hands over my face, I let out an exasperated sigh. Ever since that deceiver got me in the water, I haven't had a good nights sleep.

Memories of what it felt to have Onyx's hands on me, his mouth on mine. Knowing it wasn't him, but an ancient, cursed witch makes me nauseous.

It should have been him.

Something lying on the floor next to my vanity catches my eyes, stealing my thoughts away before they can get too rampant.

Picking it up, I frown at the handwritten scrawling's.

I know who you are. The real you, Sienna.

I know he doesn't know your secret.

Tell him, or I will.

My heart falters, the note quivering between my fingertips.

Looking around, I see nothing but my empty room, the closed door and the puddle of rain water on the carpet.

This is bad. Very bad.

I rush into the adjoining bathroom, turning the tap on. Smoothing the note flat, I hold it under the stream of water until it eventually dissolves, melting away into wet chunks that tumble down the drain.

Screwing the tap shut, I press my wet hands to my flushed skin, drawing in a shuddering breath. I know exactly what this note is elluding to...

But no one else does. Until now.

I dress quietly before padding downstairs, considering the note in the forefront of my mind.

There's only one other person who knows my secret, but I doubt he would leave a note like that. There are far better ways threaten me with my secret then leaving an ominous note.

And whoever left it clearly has access to not only the manor, but my room specifically.

I wander past the entryway to the conservatory, not entirely sure where I'm going. All I know is I need out of that room to get that note out of my head.

I spot Kayn sitting at the table at the back of the room, looking out the frosty glass window as he sips his coffee.

He looks up, smiling warm as I approach. "Hey."

"Hi."

"Join me?"

Suddenly I regret coming in here. The way he spoke to me when I was panicking about the storm hasn't settled over me well. He seemed so flippant, so dismissive when I felt like my world was melting around me.

"I should probably-"

"Please? I want to apologise about the other day." He tugs out the seat on the other side of the circle table, seeming wary.

I sigh through my nose. I should at least hear him out.

"It's fine, honestly." I sit next to him, trying not to sneeze as the scent of blooming flowers fills my nose. I convinced Lucia to fill the conservatory with exotic plants due to the warmth and sunlight this room gets.

Kayn shifts in his seat. "I just struggle with stuff like that, you know? I've never feared anything irrational, so I'll be honest, I don't really understand how anyone can."