32

Word Count: 2182

~Sienna

I drain my glass, feeling the sweet burn of alcohol in my throat.

I wish I could have fun. I wish I could enjoy this.

Thankfully my sorry state is going unnoticed. The entire back lawn of Onyx's estate has been transformed, holding more people than I ever could have imagined.

A sprawling white tent has been set up, sparkling golden lights raining down from the top, weaving into wreaths of natural greens and white flowers.

It's so pretty it's sickening.

"We can have a wedding like this one day," Kayn says from beside me, looking around with wonder.

After the ceremony, we were seated at a relatively unimportant table near the edge of the tent. The centre has been left open for dancing.

The ceremony was beautiful. Violet looked stunning walking down the aisle in a fluffy white dress, a gauzy veil raining down over her face, dotted with sparkling jewels that glimmered in the sunlight.

And Onyx...

I excused myself before the vows, claiming a stomach ache. In my defence, a deep, aching pain has taken up residence between my ribs, and seeing Onyx gazing down the aisle as his approaching wife nearly had me tumbling into a panic attack.

"I don't want one this big," I mutter into my third glass of alcohol.

Instead of a pleasant, distracting buzz, I'm stuck with a rotten feeling of sorrow.

Many people of prominence have approached me, mumbling contradictory statements. Some congratulate me on my new relationship, while others give me pitied pats on the shoulder, rambling about how hard it must be to watch my lover finally marry.

Worst of all, I have to grit my teeth and force a smile. I may not carry Onyx's title anymore, nor be in nearly as much danger, but the ruse must be maintained to secure my friend's legitimacy.

"But you are open to marrying me?" Kayn asks tentatively.

"I...one day."

That's the last thing I want to be thinking about right now.

"My mother wants me to marry soon." Kayn turns his body to face me, rubbing his hands together. "For the business."

"I'm tired of all these meaningless unions for political power" I grumble.

The only person benefitting from marrying in this instance is Kayn. I have no place in his family's business, and the one time I met them solidified that fact.

They wanted nothing to do with me.

"From what I can tell, Violet and Onyx are really in love," Kayn observes, watching the pair across the dance floor.

They are talking to another couple I don't recognise. Onyx rubs Violet's arm tenderly before excusing himself, vanishing out of the tent.

I watch him go, feeling the burning urge to follow him.

The interaction we had earlier was a nightmare. He acted like he barely remembered me like he was glad to move on.

Our friendship really is over.

"I think you're right," I murmur.

"Aren't you happy for them?" Kayn asks, offering me a smile.

I know what he is doing. He knows there was something between me and Onyx, and he wants me to move on. That way, maybe I'll finally give him all of my attention.