two - the actual beginning

SEVERAL MONTHS EARLIER

  "MIKEY!"

My voice carried across the noisy bar as I tried to get the attention of my coworker who was once again flirting with girls.

Huffing in annoyance, I walked out from behind the bar and over to him, grabbing him by the ear and dragging him into the back.

"Ouch," he complained, rubbing at his ear the moment I let him go. "What was that for?"

"I need you to do your fucking job," I said, my eyes narrowed on him. "We're getting backed up because you're choosing to flirt instead of giving people their drinks. I can't do everything at once."

"Fine, fine," he grumbled, making his way out of the back and finally starting to do his job.

Following him out, I made my way back to the bar, continuing to make drinks for everybody that kept coming up to the bar.

"What can I get you," I asked, not looking up from what I was doing as I felt the presence of yet another couple of customers come up to the bar.

"An explanation."

The voice took a moment to register in my mind, but the minute it did my head snapped up and my eyes met those of my father's. He was leaning against the bar in a black t-shirt. He looked much older than the last time I had seen him and his eyes were scanning my face, taking in all the obvious changes that had been made since we last saw each other.

Natasha Romanoff was on his left, a small smirk on her face, her flaming red hair pulled back into a french braid. On my father's right was God's right hand man, Steve Rogers.

"What are you doing here," I question, looking between the three as I slid a drink down the bar and to the man who had been waiting for a few minutes.

"We need your help."

Natasha spoke before daddy dearest could, her eyes searching my face for any sign of what I was thinking, but I made sure to keep my walls up, not allowing her in.

"You haven't seen me in seven years, and you only come to see me because you need my help," I question, a scoff leaving my lips as I pour myself a shot, downing it easily. "So much for family."

"S," Clint said quietly, "please."

My eyes met his and I could see how tired he truly was, how much pain he was in despite the fact that he was trying to hide it.

"We have nowhere else to go."

I take a moment before I respond, keeping my voice plain as I question them some more. "Just you three or the whole band of misfits?"

"All of us," Steve responded.

"Where's the rest of you?"

"In the back alley," Natasha responds and I couldn't help but let out a deep sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"I'll be done in an hour. Stay in the back alley and stay hidden."

Natasha gives me a small smile which I don't reciprocate as I glance towards Clint who was still looking at me. Shooing them away a moment later, I had to refrain from letting out a groan of annoyance.

This definitely put a damper on my mood.

The next hour seemed like it dragged on, and soon enough the bar was empty and I was locking up. Grabbing my bag and phone, I slipped out the back door, locking it as I did so.

"Allie, hey, we've got some company," I say into the phone, putting my keys in my bag as I walk down the street and towards the back alley. "I'm not sure how long they're going to stay for, but I'll be home soon."