Someone to stay

-

You were alone, left out in the cold,

clinging to the ruin of your broken home,

too lost and hurting to carry your load,

we all need someone to hold.

You've been fighting the memory, all on your own,

nothing worsens, nothing grows,

I know how it feels being by yourself in the rain,

we all need someone to stay.

Hear the fallen and lonely, cry out.

Will you fix me up? Will you show me hope?

At the end of the day you were helpless.

Can you keep me close? Can you love me most?

-

Adjusting my shirt with one hand and holding Max's clothes with the other, I walk down the stairs. I haven't had dinner yet, but I'm so worried about this that I decide to eat later. I don't know if I should go down again or if it's this floor as I look at the numbers on the corridor rooms. It says '200-230' on the wall, so I know that I am in the right place. I cross the corridor, my heart pounding in my throat, and all I can hear is the ringing in my ears. I stop in front of the door marked '209' and feel a shiver run up my spine. That's it. I felt like I could cry or hyperventilate at any moment. I'm trembling with fear, my hands are sweating, and my body is shaking. I put my hand on the door and run my fingers along the wood grain. The black stands out against the pinkish-white wall, and the gold plate with the room number contrasts with the doorknob of the same colour. I take a deep breath to calm myself before knocking three times and stepping back. As I wait, I watch the second hand of the clock strike. It's 23 and 17 and, even though it's late, I need to talk to him. Maybe I should have given him more time, it is a race weekend and not everyone shares my habits. Regardless of the meeting with Christian, the current situation with Max would have prevented me from sleeping at all. The Red Bull team principal is revealed as the door opens.

"Hello Charles," he said with a smile "I'm glad you finally came, I thought you had changed your mind". I follow him inside."My wife is here as well, I hope you don't mind." I've always thought Christian has a good life: a nice wife, nice kids and a nice job. He's been married for years and his youngest child is barely six, but apparently they didn't bring the kids this weekend."Sit down wherever you like, I'll go and tell Geri that you've arrived and I'll be right back" he disappears into the bathroom. While waiting, I took note of the room's overall size: it was bigger than mine, with a double bed and a small round table in the middle, plus a small sofa for two and an armchair with a small table on the carpet in between. The room was coloured and smelled the same as mine. I sat down on the small sofa, putting Max's clothes on my lap, and found it surprisingly soft. I then pick up my phone and open the chat.

Maxie

I'm on my way back now
Everything okay?
[delivered, 21:49]

Max, where are you? Are you okay? What the hell is your dad doing to you? I miss you. The two elders emerge from the bathroom.

"Hi Charles," she says, smiling at me "I'm just going to sit here and read. If you want me to plug my ears, just let me know" she sits down on the bed. She is always so kind, I smile back at her. Christian comes over and sits down in the chair opposite me, looking serious and taking a moment to think before speaking.