Francis Forever

-

I don't know what to do without you,

I don't know where to put my hands.

I've been trying to lay my head down

but I'm writing this at three a.m.

I don't need the world to see

that I've been the best I can be, but

I don't think I could stand to be

where you don't see me.

-

I quickly cross the pitlane and reach the pits. To avoid any strange speculations in the minds of journalists and fans, Max and I decided to say goodbye outside. I concentrate on what I have to do: have an ideal free practice to organise the pace for the race, hoping that the car and the engine will hold up. This is crucial.

"Charles, welcome back, how are you?" Carlos comes up to me and I smile.

"I'm better". We walk to the pits together. "Do I have to see the federation doctors?". He nods. They want to make sure that I am fit enough to get behind the wheel of a car with over 1000 horsepower at 300 kilometres per hour.

"How has Max been? Nice? He was really worried about you" he asks me on the way to my part of the box. Before walking down the corridor, I put my uniform in a locker and greeted all the mechanics and engineers.

"I didn't think that he could be so different from what he's like when we're on the track, a different person" I say as I open the door and let him in first.

"Have you ever gone out with him for a couple of nights?". I shake my head and close the door behind me.
"He's funny when he drinks and even more so when he's drunk," he laughs, "you don't know what you're missing." I smile to myself. The only time I have ever seen Max drunk was on the night of Abu Dhabi 2021, two days after he had won the World Championship for the first time. Even then, we were just calling each other's names. I was on the ground and he was on the yacht where he was holding the party in Monaco. I'd been drinking too and I wouldn't remember that moment if the video of us shouting at each other hadn't gone viral the next day - and it still is. Carlos stops at the door of the Ferrari pit office and knocks.

"Emm," I look down, "have you seen Pierre again?". He shakes his head.

"No, why?" However, before I can answer, the door opens in front of us and the head of the management team appears.

-

After receiving instructions on how to avoid any penalties and completing all the necessary checks, I left the Stewards' office with the authorisation card in my hand. I hurried to the pit lane as I was late, it was already 3pm and the first practice was due to start in half an hour, I had to get dressed quickly. Breathing heavily, I enter my pit box, leave the paper in the hands of Andreas, one of the engineers, take my clothes and go to my room. After closing the door, I take a deep breath to calm myself down, then pick up the phone and send a text message to Max, who must be worried.

Maxie

All good, see you at the track!
[delivered, 15:06]

I turn the phone off and leave it on the table in the room. As I take off Max's clothes, I think back to what happened earlier today. I had witnessed Max Verstappen, my rival for last year's title, arguing with his father and, in an attempt to comfort him, we almost kissed; however we were interrupted by a call from his team principal and didn't even get to say goodbye. Later, Pierre expressed his disapproval of our behaviour, saying it was not appropriate for work; I went to the paddock with Carlos, but I didn't hear anything about the pre-test meeting. After I fainted while getting dressed, Max took me back to his hotel room to recover. When I woke up, we kissed. I felt bad, he felt bad, and then we ate my favourite pizza and two portions of tiramisu. I left his room without telling him to save my friendship with Pierre, only to find out later that this was impossible. I called Max, who hugged me and took me back to the paddock. My phone vibrates and I come back to reality.