Goddess Awakened - Chapter 12

"Where do I start? You're really a -."

"Goddess? Yes." Antheia replied, her hands folded before her. "Yet only a minor one."

"A minor..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "This is all just. How? God, I must be crazy to even thing this is real.  You look like any other woman. I mean - that is to say - you are a very beautiful woman but you don't -."

"I don't look like a goddess?"  She shrugged her shoulders. "Is there a look that a goddess should have?"

"I meant to say that you look ... human." Owain said, rubbing at the back of his neck. A blush bloomed on his skin as he added. "A very beautiful human."

She dipped her head at the compliment, a warmth forming in her stomach. "You are too kind. I am pleased that you find my mortal form appealing. To answer your question, though I am of the divine, I am only a minor goddess. I am touched by divinity but I also have a touch of mortality in my veins. Like many, I am but a product of Zeus's wandering gaze."

Owain nodded his head. "I am sorry."

"Why are you sorry? My father, for all of his faults, cared deeply about me and my mother. Much to his wife's dismay." Antheia shrugged her shoulders.

"Being the child of an affair is a tough burden to carry, no matter your origin." His eyes met hers, the weight of his gaze heavy.

Antheia sucked in a breath. The compassion burning in the depths of his stare was enough to cause her eyes to burn. She dragged her gaze away and swiped at her eyes before tears could fall. It had been hard. Harder than she had let herself admit. 

What could she possibly have had to complain about? She was fortunate even if it she had been followed by whispers wherever she went. She was lucky to live in such a privileged world even if she had had to avoid several attempts on her life by Zeus's beloved.

"Wait a moment. Does that mean that they are all real? Zeus, Poseidon, Athena, and the others." Owain asked, his brow furrowing as he fought to remember the few classes he had sat through as a child.

Glad for the reprieve, Antheia smiled, "Of course, stories don't just come from nothing. There is always a grain of truth."

He nodded his absently before stilling. "Does this mean I'm going to have more gods and goddesses knocking on my door? I'm not sure I could make small talk with Zeus."

Antheia's lips turned up into a sad smile. "You need not worry. I will not draw a parade of immortals to your door. Most are - ." She paused, unable to say the word. A warm hand covered her own. "Most are lost to me."

"I'm sorry, Antheia."

"It is the curse of a long life. We live on while those we watch over live, age, and die. I just never expected the Olympians to be lost too." Antheia pulled back her shoulders and plastered on a bright smile. "Besides, all is not lost. My former mistress, Aphrodite, still lives."

Owain froze.

"Aphrodite? THE Aphrodite."

"You say that as if I should know what that means."

"Sorry, this is all a lot to take in. I should be calling you crazy. I feel like I should be calling myself crazy for believing in you." He muttered with a shake of his head before he gave her hand another squeeze. "I can't though. Somehow, I know that you're telling the truth. At least, the truth as you see it."

"Well, if you can't go on blind faith, you can see for yourself. She wants to meet you."

"Who?"

Antheia raised a single brow.