Chapter 7 - Goddess Awakened

As quickly as she had found her priestess, Antheia was losing her once more.

Once dinner had been eaten, the group packed up their 'tents'. 

With her arms folded across her chest, Antheia frowned at the proceedings. At least, until a small hand had tugged on hers. Antheia leaned down and was reliably informed by her priestess in broken whispers that they were temporary structures. Instead, Ellie and Owain lived in a much larger home just a few miles down the road. 

The knot in her stomach loosened. It was a relief that her newest charge had somewhere more defensible to live - a place that wouldn't be torn down with only the slightest challenge. And yet, Antheia could only watch on with growing dread as they made their final preparations to leave.

"Did you need a lift?" Owain asked, one foot on the grass and the other in the open door of the metal beast.

Brows raised, Antheia shook her head. Why would she need him to carry her? She tilted her head to the side, her lips pursing in consideration His arms were lean with hints of muscle. He probably could lift her if he tried. The most significant question was why would he want to?

"Thank you for your gracious offer but I must decline."

Owain nodded his head. "Right. Okay. If you're quite sure."

"I am."

He thrust his hand out toward her. Antheia just stared at it for several long seconds until she caught movement behind him. Ellie and her young friend's exaggerated movements, visible through the glass, were enough of a guide.

Slowly, her hand trembling just a little, Antheia slipped her hand into the mortal man's. Her eyebrows rose higher. He was warm. Warmer than she had expected. And, despite how gentle he had been with his daughter and his quiet contemplative nature around the campfire, his hands were those of a labourer. Strong and roughened by calluses. Yet, unlike the farm hands from the old settlement, there was nothing loud or boisterous about him. He was a shelter in the sudden storm she found herself in.

He lifted her arm up and down several times before slowing to a stop, his hand still holding hers. "I can never thank you enough for what you have done. There is nothing I could give you to repay what you did." He swallowed loudly. "I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't-." He shook his head, blinking rapidly as he glanced away. "I just -. Thank you."

"You are most welcome." Antheia replied, her hand still in his and making no effort to pull away. It was nice - having someone to hold her hand. After spending so long in the forest, so very alone, his touch was both jarring and yet oddly soothing. A balm against the loneliness in her soul.

Childish giggles escaped through the open door. He blinked and snatched his hand back. It took all of her willpower not to reach out and take it back. Instead, she allowed her hand to drop back to her side. It took even more not to wrench the little box back open again as he gave a nod and slid into the beast, sealing it shut with a loud bang.

Antheia swallowed and stepped backwards. Ellie would be safe with her father. She had to trust in that. Not that it seemed very safe, she thought, eying their metal box with suspicion.

It growled to life, the ground vibrating beneath her feet. Antheia squeaked loudly, scrambling an extra foot away.

No. Not safe at all.

Yet, her priestess was unafraid. She smiled wide, her hand waving wildly as they crept past her, gathering speed as they went.

With her hand raised in farewell, Antheia watched them go. Her dark eyes stared after them long after their car could no longer be seen. Her stomach churned uncomfortably. Why had she let them go so easily?