The Goddess Awakened - Chapter 5

The life of a mortal was hard. She had always known it from an outsiders perspective but now Antheia was living it. She had done more moving in the past few hours than she had done in centuries. She had done more of everything. 

Now, she was paying the price. 

Every part of her mortal form was exhausted - even parts of her she hadn't known existed. Damn, but her thighs hurt.  They stung with each step she took -  her wet skin brushing against more wet skin leaving a trail of burning fire in its wake. Hera would love this. She always did delight in Antheia's misery. She should have been called the goddess of petty revenge. 

Antheia took another step forwards, her legs stung in angry protest.

Was this what it meant to be human? Experiencing every emotion and every feeling more intensely. Pain and discomfort broken up by brief moments of joy. It hurt and yet, Antheia had never been so ... alive. 

The walk back to the human homestead was long and arduous. Though, by her reckoning, they had travelled less than a mile downstream. The breeze buffeted against them over and over again, sending shivers down all of their spines. Their water logged clothing was like heavy weights, dragging on their every step.

Antheia's weariness clung to her like a second skin. And yet, no matter how much she wanted to, she didn't stop. She put one foot in front of the other, her voice humming a light tune even if she would rather close her eyes and rest. The young ones only continued on at her urging. The strength she had shared with them was tapped out and the effects were already starting to wane. Their steps were slower. Their heads drooping a little lower on their necks.

Antheia's heart seized in her chest. And yet, there was nothing she could do. She was running on empty just as much as they were. She had never been pushed this far to her limits.

They had to be close. Surely? Antheia's tiredness was becoming difficult to ignore.

Then, on the wind she heard it.

"Ellie!"

It was the voice. The same one she had heard in her forest.

"Child," She asked, shaking her priestess's hand gently. "Is that your father?"

Her priestess glanced up at her with weary eyes. And yet, when she heard the voice again, she beamed. "That's my dad. DAD."

"ELLIE."

The voice was closer this time. On instinct, and with a burst of renewed energy, the trio picked up their pace though taking great care to avoid getting too near to steep slope leading down to the surging river. None of them fancied another swim. Not yet at least.

And then, around the tree line came the bearded man from the morning. He raced towards them, his face pale though the mask of terror swiftly transformed into relief as he got closer.

Ellie broke her grip on Antheia's hand and then, choking out a sob, she raced towards her father. They met half way, the man bending his knees to catch her as she leaped towards his waiting arms. Her clutched her tightly, pressing kisses against her damp hair, uncaring about the river water soaking into his own clothes.

"Oh, thank God."

Goddess. Antheia silently amended.

"I thought I had lost you. They said you fell into the river."

"We did but the princess saved us."

His arms tightened around her, his focus never leaving his little girl. Ellie didn't protest. She just hugged him back just as tightly.