Runaway Witch

Copyright © 2011 Sabrina Schreck

All rights reserved.

COPYRIGHT:

This story, "Runaway Witch" is copyrighted. All rights are reserved by the owner and creator of this work (Sabrina Schreck) and any unauthorized copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any links, images, brand names or otherwise copyrighted material is not my own, and is not covered by my copyright. No copyright infringement intended.

Prologue

1692

I ran and ran shooting past the trees surrounding me. I heard the footsteps chasing me and I pushed myself faster. I almost tripped over my skirt as my blue eyes found  the men dressed in black, at the top of the small hill, holding their lanterns. Their eyes scanned what was below them. I snapped my fingers and the lanterns went out. I ran faster before they could relight them.

"There she is!" I heard a loud angry voice coming towards me. "Get her! Get the witch!" He shouted at his companions. They rushed after me. I sprinted, jumping over the trees and branches. I was getting tired fast. I climbed up a tree and the men ran past me. I sighed with relief.

The men that were chasing me were called the Witch Hunters. It was a very appropriate name for them because that is what they did: they chased, captured, and executed witches on Gallows Hill. The first witch that was hung was my own tutor, Bridget Bishop. She was a very strange woman but she was the most powerful witch in the world. They Witch Hunters hung her on the Hill when she was unconscious, like most witches were, so she couldn't kill the Hunters. I became the most powerful witch and the Hunters came after me. I am the only "real" witch left, the rest that were accused of witchcraft were not witches, just poor souls that didn't fit in.

I miss Bridget terribly, she was my family in a way. It is hard to know, that the one I was closest to was murdered by our own neighbors in this small village. The village of Salem, Massachusetts. The place where the horrible tragedy occurred: The Salem Witch Trials.

Chapter One

2012 (Present Day)

With my hands in my back pockets of my Lucky Brand jeans, I strolled along the streets of New York. My long brown hair blowing in the light breeze. The crowd of people around me seemed oblivious to my presence as they rushed around doing whatever humans do at eleven in the morning. I walked up to my apartment building, saying hello to the doorman. When I reached my apartment and unlocked the door I flopped down on the bed. I was bored, as usual. I really had no one to talk to except for my dog, who was snoring away on his bed.

When I went out this morning for a walk through central park. It was a place where I could really clear my mind and think. I was alone most of the time. All my family had died in 1683 and my friends were no longer alive. So how am I still alive? It's been three hundred, thirty-eight years since I was born. I stopped aging when I was eighteen. Why? Because I was cursed by another witch that accused me of exposing her: Rebecca Nurse. She was very powerful, almost as powerful as Bridget and I. So I have been searching and searching until I finally find a cure. Unfortunately, I haven't found one.

I sighed and pulled on my necklace. The necklace is what Bridget gave to me before she was hung. It was a silver pentagram. It was laced with sacred magic that modern witches no longer use. The top point is spiritual power, the upper right point is control over water, the lower right point is control over fire, the lower left is control over earth, and the upper left is control over the air. 

My necklace burned my throat telling me that there was danger near. Most likely demons. Good witches fight off demons, bad witches help the demons and when bad witches do fight with demons they end up getting Turned into one. I grabbed my beautiful bow and bronze arrows and went out the door.