16 - Isharat

Contains smut towards second half

''Shaano, they're too much?'' Meerab huffed, affixing the stunning emerald pear drop earring, if they could even be called that from the sheer size of the stone.

''Nahi, they're perfectly contrasting. They're to symbolise your mama.'' Shaano reminded, humming and her fingers lifted Meerab's pointed chin to catch a sight of the iridescent quality of the minerals, the sunlight bringing out the shades of green: evergreen, pine, even the depths of the sea.

Behind her, the double doors had been opened so the salted air wafted in, cleansing the pre-wedding nerves away and melancholy of the lack of parents.

The flat was flashy and newly refurbished, with crips with white walls whilst made it feel even larger. Sleek white leather sofas took up the space, with only a traditional but artistically faded, rug beneath for a splash of colour. The star of the show was the windows that opens into the spacious balcony; it beckoned her outwards. From the vantage point, the sea rippled in an elegant melody, rolling onto it self as she watched the shades of cloudy grey, amalgamating into a rich smooth navy. They even crashed calmly upon the rocks, the background music muffled with the tides, making her giddy all over again.

''It's such a nice view Shaano, like he always dreamed of,'' Meerab recalled, ready for her nikkah and waiting in the room he had booked.

''I remember you said that he liked the sea, watching the tides from high up, haina?'' Shaano's eyes glittered again, awe of the man she had come across in the driveway and instantly recognised that a part of him echoed Meerab's name, no matter how hard he tried to mask it.

''We're in the pent house. As high as we could be.'' Her hand slid past the steel railing, the sea smiling back at her as if she was on a podium, tiny against the backdrop of a skyscraper and yet regal in her bridal dress.

''Aik raat hi sahi?'' Shaano teased. (Even if it's for a single night?)

Meerab traitorous cheeks blushed in response, her own mind racing along the same lines of finishing that they had already started, but pulling away each time to maintain boundaries that held on by a sole thread. ''Aik din hum ye bhi khareed lenge,'' she replied haughtily. To refer to them as 'hum', as a couple was still novel, tickling her mouth as if shy for their fusion to be seen. She fiddled with the engagment ring, spun around so that it demanded attention on her hand. (One day, we will buy this too.)

''He did this much without you. Imagine what he'll do with you at his side?''

A breath lodged in her throat, not overwhelmed by apprehensive of what he was capable of. The determination he had for using his company to find the root cause of the shooter was unnerving, untamed power and uncaring for who toppled down as a result.

''I don't want to think about it, it'll ruin my make up.'' Venturing back inside to pick up a tissue, it was placed between her plump lips to blot a layer of the crimson stain off her lips so it lightened a shade; it was less harsh against the all white dress that was encrusted in weighted breading the entire way down to the floor.