1 - Jashn

Meerab's 23rd birthday was a war zone.

It started like any birthday party. A grand celebration had been arranged in their back garden, a row of tables with superfluous flower center piece at each one. The speakers sang joyously in the background and Meerab was invited up to cut the cake by her baba, Anwar Khan. The cameras flashed as thunder of claps saturated the air, filling her with an elation at being celebrated. The crowd filled her eye-line, mixed into indistinguishable smiles, familiar and unfarmiliar.

Just as Anwar bought the cake slice towards Meerab to feed her, the untimely revv of a car disturbed them, and they froze. Meerab did not get to even try a morsel of cake before the onslaught of gun shot cut through the air. It felt like a haze of darkness overcame the scene, lights shattered and the sound of popping baloons reverberated through the air.

Everyone's heart stopped for a second in pure fear, and then began thumping harshly to compensate so all they could hear were screams and thrashing blood. Their ear drums burned from the booms as they fell to the ground, onto the dirtied grass.

Meerab let out a fear seeped screamed as a man with the look of revenge approached and Nawaz flung himself forward. The next thing Meerab heard was a loud pained groan. Looking down to the man that lay on the ground before her, she saw thick red blood oozing into the fabric of his eggshell kameez, stained with despair.

Getting to her knees, her eyes widened in utter shock, her hands hovering over the source of pain, agony etched deep into his features. ''Nawaz Sahab, ambulance aarhi hogi,'' she assured in a tone of panic, with welling eyes. (Nawaz Saab, an ambulance is coming.)

In the glossy reflection of her midnight eyes, Nawaz cupped her face with eerily cool hands and whispered, ''Andar jao. It's not safe here bete.'' His voice was pained and weak, mustering his last bit of strength to save her. (Go inside child.)

As always, she failed to listen to the instruction, cradling his head instead, whispering silent prayers over him and asking for god to intercede. ''Koi yahan bhi madat de,'' she screamed out in the aftermath of a tempest of bullets, the debris of her party scattered everywhere, ripped bunting and tossed tables. Her voice dry as a salted tear rolled down her face. It fell like they had plummeted into hell from the cake cutting ceremony, like they had been thrown into carnage. (Someone help here too!)

On hearing her voice, the paramedics rushed, and scooped up Nawaz off the confetti covered grass. He had become pale and limp. His salt and pepper curled moustache was now flecked in crimson too.

Meerab's heart wrenched in guilt and remorse at the scene that had ensued. Nawaz had been her shadow since childhood and her father's most trusted man. Hence, tasked with looking Anwar's most prized and valued possession, the sole owner of his heart, his daughter Meerab.

After quickly assuring her baba that she was completely unharmed, and sneaking past Mai, she raced to the hospital after him. Of course, some guards followed too. She drove solely based on muscle memory over Hyderabad, the towering hospital arriving within minutes. Her gut twisted painfully, she brushed aside any fear as she made her way towards the entrance.

Inside, Meerab waited and paced for an hours, mumbling about the scene and reiterating the need to see Nawaz to the receptionist, but to no avail. ''Madam, yahan waiting room mei beth jayye,'' she guided, trying to dismiss her. All the while, the receptionist's gaze failed to leave the computer, the cool white light bouncing off her sleep deprived face as she clicked mindlessly. (Madam, have a seat in the waiting room.)

Meerab's gaze narrowed at the women who had under estimated her. ''Main Meerab Khan hun! Nawaz mere guard hai, aur agar tum log uski jaan na bacha sake, to main ye poora hospital band karwa dungi,'' she threatened, each word laced in sincerity. It was the truth as she twirled Hyderabad on it's finger. (I am Meerab Malik. Nawaz is my body guard, and if you can't save his life, then I'll have the entire hospital shut down.)