Chapter Four

The faster Darcy and Liam ran, the harder the rain beat down on them

The faster Darcy and Liam ran, the harder the rain beat down on them. They tried not to let it slow them down, not until they got to the high school. They slowed their pace slightly as they reached the courtyard, eyes searching for Scott or anyone from the pack. 

Wiping water off her face, Darcy was relieved to see Stiles and Malia standing a couple hundred feet away. She went to tap Liam's arm but her hand hit open air; he was already running to them. With her heart hammering in her chest, she took off after him. 

Up ahead, she noticed Malia's head perk up as she heard them coming. Liam got to the two seniors first, running right at them until-

A loud smack sounded through the air as Malia's hand struck the center of his chest and she slammed him to the ground. A few seconds later, Darcy came to a stop next to Liam. She glanced down at him and winced in sympathy but didn't offer a hand to help him up. Running from the hospital to the high school had taken a lot of effort. Even for a werewolf, she could barely stay upright and she had to lean over, panting with a heaving chest. 

"Scott's in trouble," Liam said on the ground between pants. 

Darcy nodded enthusiastically, straightening just in time to see the scared look Malia threw toward Stiles. If she focused hard enough she could hear the sounds of a fight: grunts, claws tearing flesh, Kira unsheathing her blade. She and Malia shared their own look, eyes going over to the floating walkway by the library. 

Darcy took off first with Malia pulling along Stiles and Liam scrambling to pick himself up off the ground. The four of them fell in line with each other and ran across the courtyard to where the noises were coming from. Coming upon the walkway, they quickly assessed the situation before hurriedly making their way down the stairs. 

Through the vast amounts of rainwater falling from the edge of the bridge was Scott's kneeling form, held up by the claws of his attacker, a large man dripping black blood. It was undoubtedly the man Parrish had encountered at the abandoned house earlier. 

To Darcy's left, Liam snarled and his eyes flashed bright yellow. She followed suit, flicking out her claws, but it was quickly obvious she didn't have to fight. 

In front of them, Scott struggled momentarily, his grunts of pain echoing in their ears. Just when it seemed he couldn't fight back, his clawed hand swung up and grasped onto the arm of the other supernatural creature. He snarled, his red eyes staring down at the man in front of him, and then he started to rise. Once he stood on both feet, Scott looked every bit of the alpha he was, his power evident as he quickly reversed the two's roles. 

Towering above the now cowering man, Scott snapped the bones in the other's arm, and Darcy winced at the cracking sound in her ears. With a grunt, Scott dug into his chest and ripped out the attacker's claws, throwing them off to the side. Their clatter echoed off the bridge's wall, barely heard over the rain and hammering of everyone's hearts.