Chapter Three

Beacon Hills Memorial was unnaturally busy, hosting almost more patients with injuries than doctors and nurses

Beacon Hills Memorial was unnaturally busy, hosting almost more patients with injuries than doctors and nurses. The five of them tried not to be in the way as they carefully made their way through the hospital.

Darcy already knew the plan: she and Liam would stay here while Stiles, Scott, and Malia went and did their secret senior thing. The two at the hospital would help where they could, taking pain or at least staying out of the way. At first, it didn't make sense how being in a busy hospital would help them not wolf out but once she stepped inside, she understood. There was so much going on it offered an endless supply of distractions.

Darcy had already accepted she would have to stay, even though she wasn't super happy about it. While Liam, on the other hand, was currently trying to convince Scott they should go with the others. Scott had dropped them off at a set of chairs like dropping off kids for preschool, and Liam had followed after like the kid who couldn't bear to separate from his mom.

Sitting in a waiting chair, she watched the two of them make their way down the hallway to the elevator. When they paused in front of the elevator doors, Darcy got up from her chair and walked in the other direction to go look for her aunt, Alexa. She, if not with Melissa McCall, usually worked in this wing, so she was sure to be around.

It only took a few minutes of wandering for Darcy to find the woman standing outside a patient's room. She faced the wall outside a patient's room, looking over what Darcy assumed was the patient's chart.

She made sure to approach loudly, but Alexa was so deep in thought she still didn't hear her niece. Unlike Darcy, Alexa had no supernatural abilities, so she could still easily be snuck up on. When Darcy came to stand at her side, the older woman didn't even notice.

"Alexa," Darcy said calmly, but, as expected, the woman jumped and in the process, almost dropped her papers. 

"Christ, Darcy! That's it, I'm putting a bell on you; a nice big, shiny one, like a cowbell," she said with a wide smile. 

Darcy just smiled thinly. She couldn't help but notice the purple bags under her aunt's eyes. Alexa was always tired, but something about right now made her seem more weary. Her dark hair stuck out wildly from her head and fell out of the loose bun she'd put it in. 

"What?" she asked, noticing Darcy's gaze and lifting a hand to her face.

Darcy shook her head. "Nothing. How's it going?"

Alexa dropped her hand and sighed. "We're... managing. They needed everyone available to help but it still feels like we don't have enough hands. We're just so busy with the pileup on top of everyone else."

"Is there anything you think I can help with?"

"Not necessarily, unless you're a licensed nurse and I don't know about it?"

"I'm not, sorry," Darcy said, shrugging with a small smile.

"Well, then there's not much you can do, D. Maybe take some pain if you see the opportunity."